Stephen Card paintings and prints

the2ofus

There was a print of the DeNoach recently offered on e-bay. The seller said it was signed in pencil by Stephen Card. Does he ever sign prints in pencil?

Sure do!

When I was younger I used crayon!!!! ;)

Artists 'usually' sign their prints with pencil. The whole reason is that pencil cannot be faked... or printed.

The original painting of 'De Noach' (The Noah) was made for Premier Cruises and was hung in the Ocean Bar on board the REMBRANDT... the old ROTTERDAM. Unfortunately when REMBRANDT was laid up in Freeport, that painting and several others, went missing.

The reason why Premier wanted the painting of De Noach.... well she was a famous Dutch clipper and Premier liked to retain some kind of connection with REMBRANDT's Dutch heritage.

Stephen

Thank you, Stephen. Now I wish I had bid, but I was put off by the seller's answer to my question. (The original info about the print had already contained an obvious error.)

Thanks also for educating me. I'll be a more savvy consumer now. (Not that I'm a big art collector.)

I enjoy your artwork on the HAL ships, am looking forward to your book.

How do I purchase Capt. Card's new Holland America book? I would love to get it as a gift for my parents, who travelled with HAL several times from New York to Rotterdam on Statendam (and vice versa) in the "olden days" prior to jet travel. Also, my mother was born and grew up in Semarang, Java. After World War II, she remembers coming home to Holland via the Suez Canal on the Nieuwe Amsterdam of that era. I think my parents would really enjoy the book, and I would too !:) Thanks for any info.

....I found the Cunard book by Stephen Card, but I was under the impression that he also has a Holland America book coming out soon, and that I could not find. I appreciate your help, though. I will keep looking; probably Prinsendam himself has already posted this info somewhere here on CC.

....I found the Cunard book by Stephen Card, but I was under the impression that he also has a Holland America book coming out soon, and that I could not find. I appreciate your help, though. I will keep looking; probably Prinsendam himself has already posted this info somewhere here on CC.

Oh, I see. Stephen posted on our Roll Call thread that the new book is coming out February/March (at least I think he indicated such) and we can get a copy on board, so we are planning to do so. But I have also ordered the Cunarder as well. My parents loved Cunard and cruised Cunard frequently and I am anxious awaiting the book. :)

Stephen posted the following information on the Roll Call:

BTW... The new book is called:

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

"The Spotless Fleet"

Maritime Paintings by

Stephen J. Card M.N.I.

It is quite a bit bigger than Cunarder... over 80 paintings.

Perhaps he can provide an exact date the new book will be available. :)

Here is a link to Stephen and many of his HAL paintings

http://www.vdleek.nl/Art/Card/Card-1.html

Here's where you can find the book Cunardia:

http://www.maritimematters.com/mall_openthebook.html

A collection of postcards that were reproduced from paintings he did for Costa:

http://www.vdleek.nl/Art/Card/Card-1.html

...another poster/repro of his that I just found:

http://www.postercheckout.com/PictureFull.asp?PrintID=58872

I had seen a page where they were selling a number of his prints a while ago, but I can't seem to find it any longer...

:(

Thank you all for your postings here, especially for the links to his published work. His style of painting is my favorite. We will be sailing with Stephen on the Statendam on January 21st. Wow,how cool it that?.:D

Lisa -

I love your print! What an awesome present for your DH. Thanks for sharing it with us - I love the frame too. :)

Thanks Laura, It really turned out great but after checking with several framing places, I was shocked at the cost. To do it the way I really wanted it ended up costing me 7 times the cost of the print:eek: But I think it was well worth it. We have it hanging above my computer desk in our bedroom so we see it a lot.:) Several people told me I should display it in our formal living room or where it can be seen by those that come to our home. But my feeling this is for us and this is where we see it many times a day and can enjoy it.

Thanks Laura, It really turned out great but after checking with several framing places, I was shocked at the cost. To do it the way I really wanted it ended up costing me 7 times the cost of the print:eek: But I think it was well worth it. We have it hanging above my computer desk in our bedroom so we see it a lot.:) Several people told me I should display it in our formal living room or where it can be seen by those that come to our home. But my feeling this is for us and this is where we see it many times a day and can enjoy it.

Yes, beautifully framed. Your framer obviously knows what he is doing.

Just a pity about those red numbers on the wood moulding at lower right. :rolleyes:

Can I offer a bit of advice here? For anyonw who owns a print of any kind, please try to avoid hanging them on any wall where they are subjected to direct or even reflected sunlight. Even though the best and most lightfast inks are used in the printing process, UV rays can destroy the colour in a print over a few years. In strong direct light it won't take more than a few months. Original oils and watercolours don't uffer in the same way... but they shouldn't be placed in strrong direct light.

I've seen lots of paintings and prints hung over a mantle piece. If the fireplace is a working one the heat going up the chimney will damage the print or original from behind and the heat and smoke on te front will likewise cause damage. It isn't walways immediately apparent but over time the piece will gradually deteriorate.

Print made by the Giclee method usually stand the test of time better than any others but even they won't last forever if badly treated. The problem with Giclee is the high initial cost.

Regarding some of the prints and artwork that is sold on board... the auctioneers are always quick to tell you that the prints etc have excellent re-sale value. This is a bit misleading. To retain it's value the print must kept in it's original condition. This means storage away in a temperature controlled dark and safe place. Hang a print on a wall for two years and it will look nothing like it did when it was brand new. I always advise people to purchase prints... if they are going to look at it and enjoy it. As an investment it is a real long shot. Original paintings are a different kettle of fish. One small but nicely done painting... even at a low price will probably gain value over time.

I'm glad that so many of you ssem to be enjoying the prints put out by World Ocean. If there is anything particular that you would like to see in print, let me know. I'll pass on the information.

Stephen

Yes, beautifully framed. Your framer obviously knows what he is doing.

Just a pity about those red numbers on the wood moulding at lower right. :rolleyes:

Can I offer a bit of advice here? For anyonw who owns a print of any kind, please try to avoid hanging them on any wall where they are subjected to direct or even reflected sunlight. Even though the best and most lightfast inks are used in the printing process, UV rays can destroy the colour in a print over a few years. In strong direct light it won't take more than a few months. Original oils and watercolours don't uffer in the same way... but they shouldn't be placed in strrong direct light.

I've seen lots of paintings and prints hung over a mantle piece. If the fireplace is a working one the heat going up the chimney will damage the print or original from behind and the heat and smoke on te front will likewise cause damage. It isn't walways immediately apparent but over time the piece will gradually deteriorate.

Print made by the Giclee method usually stand the test of time better than any others but even they won't last forever if badly treated. The problem with Giclee is the high initial cost.

Regarding some of the prints and artwork that is sold on board... the auctioneers are always quick to tell you that the prints etc have excellent re-sale value. This is a bit misleading. To retain it's value the print must kept in it's original condition. This means storage away in a temperature controlled dark and safe place. Hang a print on a wall for two years and it will look nothing like it did when it was brand new. I always advise people to purchase prints... if they are going to look at it and enjoy it. As an investment it is a real long shot. Original paintings are a different kettle of fish. One small but nicely done painting... even at a low price will probably gain value over time.

I'm glad that so many of you ssem to be enjoying the prints put out by World Ocean. If there is anything particular that you would like to see in print, let me know. I'll pass on the information.

Stephen

Stephen, Thanks so much for the advise:) Fortunately where I have the print hanging is no where near any sun light or direct light.

It is good to have some one like yourself here on the boards that are so knowledgeable.

Stephen

Stephen--

My personal favorite of those I've seen is your painting of Nieuw Amsterdam (II) with her original dark hull...

...I think that if I were to purchase one for myself, that's the one I'd look for.

Tho I have a small collection of Normandie images that I enjoy. Have you ever painted her?

Lisa - I will post you my print - I am still a tad bit undecided on the location - we remodeled, so it's between our master bedroom sitting area and my dressing space - I DO love yours - I framed mine locally, but needs a "re-do" as it appears to have "slipped" a bit in the matting. I ended up choosing a store called Hobby Lobby to do the actual work - though my preference would have been Aaron Brothers, but they don't have a store here - it was about $100. I 'could' do it myself - but I am always perplexed by the matting choices.

Sonny likes the most recent S. Card Rotterdam print I had done, though the matting is not my usual color sceme. I will email it to you... let me know what you think!

Stephen--

My personal favorite of those I've seen is your painting of Nieuw Amsterdam (II) with her original dark hull...

...I think that if I were to purchase one for myself, that's the one I'd look for.

Tho I have a small collection of Normandie images that I enjoy. Have you ever painted her?

NIEUW AMSTERDAM II... one of her in Panama Canal... part of the OOSTERDAM series?

She looked beautiful in black but I knew her when she was grey so I tend to prefer that scheme.

A friend of mine here in Sydney has just completed a 5 foot wide profile drawing of the NA 'as built'. Lovely drawing!!!! In ink and hand coloured. Pretty damn nice too. I loaned all my reference material, plans etc so the drawing is just about 100% accurrate.

I have a few NORMANDIE pieces as well. I've made two paintings of her. One of her charging through heavy seas... as seen from the bridge wing.... overlooking the bows of the QUEEN MARY.

Stephen

• 3 years later...
NIEUW AMSTERDAM II... one of her in Panama Canal... part of the OOSTERDAM series?

She looked beautiful in black but I knew her when she was grey so I tend to prefer that scheme.

Stephen

My absolute favourite. Located on staircase between decks 5 & 6. Oosterdam.

Wonderful painting..... would love to find a print???? anyone??

Archived