Cell Phone Service In Mexico

melika091900

iVE ASKED THIS BEFORE,,,, BUT HERE IT GOES AGAIN :confused:

IN MEXICO DOES YOUR CELL PHONE WORK? I HAVE VERIZON WIRELESS...

I CALLED THEM TODAY AND I WAS TOLD IT WILL WORK ,, BUT I MIGHT HAVE TO DIAL A COUNTRY CODE WHEN CALLING OUT?? HAS ANYONE HAD TO DO THIS..?

THE LADY TOLD ME IT WAS 0-THEN AREA CODE AND NUMBER

AND THEN SHE SAID 001- THEN AREA CODE AND NUMBER, SHE REALLY CONFUSED ME... ANY HELP ID APPRECIATE.. I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO PAY 10 $ PER MINUTE FROM THE SHIP....

THANKS

I have Verizon as well. I went to P.V for a week last Feb. I some how could recieve calls but could not dial out. I went again in Sept. and someone told me to take the battery out, put it back in and it should work to recieve calls as well. Weird or not -it worked!! I was able to recieve calls as well. Beware though my cell phone bill was $250 ( i think it was .89 a min.) and it added up fast!!! Unneccissary calls came in and you dont think you are on the phone that long!! Of course though you are in port for a day versus me staying there for a week so it does make a difference.

I have Verizon as well. I went to P.V for a week last Feb. I some how could recieve calls but could not dial out. I went again in Sept. and someone told me to take the battery out, put it back in and it should work to recieve calls as well. Weird or not -it worked!! I was able to recieve calls as well. Beware though my cell phone bill was $250 ( i think it was .89 a min.) and it added up fast!!! Unneccissary calls came in and you dont think you are on the phone that long!! Of course though you are in port for a day versus me staying there for a week so it does make a difference.

wow maybe that will work

they told me to dial *228 send before leaving so we can get better satellite connection or something.. hopefully it works

it worked in NO ,,, and it was expensive.. i guess its better than paying 10 per min on the ship

thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Mel,

Check out the article in next month's (Feb 06) edition of Cruise Travel already available on news stands. Lists what cruise lines provide cell phone coverage. Don't remember seeing what the charges were however. I know reg phone service from Cabo to Alberta, Canada is USD$12/min.

Ciao for now!!!

Mel,

Check out the article in next month's (Feb 06) edition of Cruise Travel already available on news stands. Lists what cruise lines provide cell phone coverage. Don't remember seeing what the charges were however. I know reg phone service from Cabo to Alberta, Canada is USD$12/min.

Ciao for now!!!

thanks for the info,, i will be looking for that today !!!!

thanks

melissa

• 3 weeks later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of what just happened to us while we were on Mexican Riviera cruise in January! Our provider is Cingular and our digital phone is about 1 yr old.I turned the phone on in two ports, out of curiosity, to see how the reception was. We had been told it would be 79cents a minute, but friends who had tried to call with Cingular said they got a message in Spanish which they couldn't translate, so didn't get through. I never placed a call and just turned the phone back off each time.

Here's what happened - our phone number was "cloned" and grabbed via some type of technology which newer phones can block. After we returned to San Diego after 10 days on cruise, I tried to use the phone but found there was a "fraud alert" attached to the phone and it was only going to work in my home area code. Call to Cingular customer service found that the phone had already been used for 2900 minutes with calls from Mexico, probably drug dealers, we will not be responsible but it created havoc and I can't imagine the shock when we receive the first phone bill and see what it amounted to. So BEWARE - check to see if your phone is new enough to block such a problem.

we were just on the Pride Jan 22-29th. We had Cingular turn on our international roaming $3.99 per month and we will leave it on until we are sure all calls have posted. (our son works for Cingular, so this is what he advised). We got good signals in each port, made calls out without any problem, but turned to phones off so we would not receive any "unwanted" calls. Rates were $1.00 per minute. We clocked 20 minutes total just "checking in" with family. Also when you dial out, you need to change your phone numbers to show +1XXX-XXX-XXXX. Always include the + sign and the 1.

I just spent some time at a T-mobile store here in town, before our trip to Mexico. They said it would be $1.49 a minute but only 15 cents per text message outgoing. It seems I can receive incoming text messages for free. I asked if anyone can go to T-Mobile on the Internet to send a text message and they said, "yes." I asked this, because I have friends who don't know how to text message on a phone.

My phone is only dual band - 900 and 1900 are the two bands. She looked it up and said in Mexico they use 1900. So hopefully my phone will work OK there.

I have Verizon..set up the international calling for 3.99 a month can cancel at anytime(also I have been calling Canada planning cruise events...) Plus I have been calling the Caribbean

Was told to dial *228 when I get to San Franciso to update my roaming ...will do again when I get to Cabo...

Was told that if my phone does not say roaming then I would only be charge the per minute for my call...IF (big if) I get a signal at all..

Figure if I get asignal I will make quick call otherwise oh well they can survive without me for 6 days....will just check email each night..heck I am Platinum with Princess:p :D

Archived