RC Mariner vs Caribbean Princess Help

smokin

For the Mariner, how is the drive from Orlando to Port Canaveral?

We've been on both lines and have had good experiences on both but the Caribbean Princess is about $300/pp cheaper than Mariner. Is it worth spending less to go on the Caribbean?

We appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Cant help you with the Car-Princess, but as for the Mariner we have sailed her twice Eastern & Western we loved this ship an we will probably book her for 2007.. :) We cant get enough!:D The drive is about 40 minutes on the Beach Line or 528 as most of us know it.

We were on the Caribbean Princess at Thanksgiving. Movies Under the Stars is fun. The cabins are as nice as the RCCL ships, but food while well-prepared can be bland. Service is good, but staffing is a bit lower per passenger. An additional deck was added to the Caribbean Princess compared to its sister ships, but staffing levels were not increased to handle the extra passengers. Therefore at dinner, service may not be as attentive as on an RCCL ship. I have not been on the Mariner, but found that there seems to be more activities on the RCCL ships. If you are taking children, RCCL is better.

So...if you're looking for a good time, either ship will be good. It depends on what you're looking for in your cruise experience.

Depends on the experience you want. Princess food is a notch above RC. Mariner, as a Voyager class ship, has the rock wall, ice skating, and other fun things that Princess does not have on any ship. RC has the Quest game. All past passengers are sworn not to tell about it but it is great adult fun. At vacation times RC will have many more kids on board. Princess limits kids on board.

Besides better and friendlier service on RCI, and Better food on RCI, and much more to do on the Mariner.....

Here is the biggest thing to look at to make your choice between Mariner and Car.Princess:

Mariner = 140,000 Gross Tons .....3114 passengers ............44.96 space ratio

Car. Princess = 116,000 Gross Tons .. 3114 passengers .......37.25 space ratio

Hope This Helps.

Hello, I was on the CP Oct. 2004 with my family and even though we had fun, I was not very impressed. I wrote a review on this message board and I thought the Princess fans were going to shoot me. The food was bland, service was just fair, and there was to many people! We sailed with a group of about 25 families from Central Florida and most of the group were dissappointed. We have not sailed on the Mariner but we have sailed on the Voyager as well as 2 other RCCL ships and had a great time. PRINCESS IS OVER-RATED! If you want to wait in huge lines, eat bad food and get fair service sail the CP. If you want a great vacation choose the Mariner!

Have only cruised RC to date so can't compare. But, I happen to have both booked for about a year from now. Base fares: CP- $699 Balcony, Two months later, Mariner- $749 Promenade Inside. So, basically its like CP has given me a free upgrade to balcony, and $50 pp shipboard credit. How many of deficiencies that might be perceived for the CP does this make up for??!!

The drive to PC is about 45 minutes from Orlando. Several people in our group used Art's Shuttles.

I have been on both the Golden Princess and the Mariner of the Seas. I really like the Mariner. I like them both but I like to be active and I was never bored on the Mariner. The food in Chops and Portofino was more than outstanding and the food in the dining room was pretty good too. Our steward was more than outstanding.

I too think the food on Princess is a tad bland. I am not sure why and I never really thought about it much till I read this thread but now that I think about it you people are right. The Hollandaise sauce on the Eggs Benedict on the Mariner is yucky tho and that was not happy for Eggs Benedict loving me.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in September and had a balcony room on the Baha deck. The room was very comfortable and our room steward was excellent. We felt the service was very good in the dining room, however agree with the previous poster about the food being bland. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. We loved having the "anytime" dining and wish all cruise lines would do that! We never had to wait for a table and had a table for 2 several nights. We had only cruised on Carnival previously (the last 2 ships were the Spirit & Pride) and had heard Princess was the next step up on cruise ships. The ship is very elegant and understated (not all the bling) and we found it very pretty and well laid out. Room service was always very quick and our orders were correct. The coffee from room service was very good...beware of the coffee & tea on Lido!!! The worst I have ever had! Deserts were very good in both the dining room and on lido. The ship was kept very clean and we found the staff always pleasant and helpful. We went on this cruise for total relaxation and we got that and then some. We spent a lot of time on our balcony and ordered a lot of room service. We didn't do any activities and only went to the pool maybe 3-4 times. We are 38 and 42 and found that the crowd for the most part was much older. The comedy shows were usually pretty packed and good (from what we saw walking through). The night club was very nice and large, but no one there so we were a little disappointed in that. All in all, we had a great trip and would sail Princess again if we are looking for a completely relaxing cruise. As of now, I would say our last 2 cruises on Carnival were by far better than Princess in the nightlife and food and about equal in service. We are going on the Mariner in February and taking the kids and are really looking forward to it. The activities offered are really great and we will be out in the ship a lot with the kids, so we took 2 interior rooms side by side instead of the balcony. We will of course post a review when we return and continue to compare our cruises and find the line that suits us best. That is really what it is all about...everyone likes different things and one line may be great for some, and not for others.

Thank you to all, We are leaning towards the Mariner. We where on the Sun princess last year and really did not think that the cruise was as nice as our previous cruise on the Brilliance two years prior. hopefully RCCL has not had to many cut backs in the last two years.

Havn't been on Princess, but just got off MARINER. We're off RCI permanently. If I was choosing, it would be PRINCESS.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on your Royal Caribbean experience and what has led you to choose not to sail again with them?

For the OP we always sail on Royal Caribbean but were on the Grand Princess about 3 years back. No comparison in my opinion. Royal Caribbean is much better all around, especially in the activities and space on the shape. 3,000 people and never once feel crowded on a Voyager class ship.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on your Royal Caribbean experience and what has led you to choose not to sail again with them?

For the OP we always sail on Royal Caribbean but were on the Grand Princess about 3 years back. No comparison in my opinion. Royal Caribbean is much better all around, especially in the activities and space on the shape. 3,000 people and never once feel crowded on a Voyager class ship.

Any more thoughts previous poster has us concerned

Thank you to all, We are leaning towards the Mariner. We where on the Sun princess last year and really did not think that the cruise was as nice as our previous cruise on the Brilliance two years prior. hopefully RCCL has not had to many cut backs in the last two years.

I am a first time cruiser, who just got off the Mariner on December 5th. It was fantastic. Granted, I have no experience to base comparisons, but I could not have been any happier with the RCCL staff and the ship is just magnificent. Food was wonderful (except for Caribbean Night - go to Chops or Portofinos this night). Never used room service, but others in group raved about speed and accuracy.

Activities were well planned, never crowded and always fun. I am hooked on RCCL.

I think you'll likely get opinions from never to always, bets to worst, top to bottom on each and every line and each and every ship.

What sticks out about Carnival Triumph? The friendliest staff.

Celebrity Galaxy? The food presentation; elegant.

Norwegian Sea...old fashioned small ship that was a fun trip to fun ports.

Carnival Inspiration? The children's programs were excellent.

Norwegian Dawn? The best cruise director in the business..Colin.

Norwegian Southward? Loved the theme nights and BBQ poolside.

Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas? EVERYTHING!!! The activities are unequalled. Food was respectable. Staff was efficient and friendly as we hoped they could be. By the way...treat people the way you would like to be treated and it is amazing what a great time you can have.

Hmmm...even though I had some complaint type issues back then...I remember the good times more than anything else now. Isn't that what it is all about?

Archived