Tap water on ship ok to drink?

I was thinking of packing a few empty water bottles to keep refilling with sink water in our stateroom to save a little money on water. I drink about 8 bottles a day, so this would add up QUICK for me.

I dont mind drinking it room temperature at all.

Anyway, is the water in the sink safe to drink and filtered or whatever?

Thanks!

I was thinking of packing a few empty water bottles to keep refilling with sink water in our stateroom to save a little money on water. I drink about 8 bottles a day, so this would add up QUICK for me.

I dont mind drinking it room temperature at all.

Anyway, is the water in the sink safe to drink and filtered or whatever?

Thanks!

For the past several cruises we have taken bottles and filled them from the tap or in the Windjammer. It certainly is a lot cheaper than buying on board. It has been ok for us. You'll certainly want to take water on excursions.:D

Just to give a little extra info;)

(I've always been accused of being one of those guys who, when asked what time it is, will tell you how to build a watch!:rolleyes: )

Most all bottled water you buy is just regular water that has been filtered and purified. Some of them even have on the bottle "98.56% pure" or the highest I have ever seen is "98.95% pure".

The "Watermakers" on board most RCI ships (they take sea water and purify it) are the most powerful and effecient in the world. They purify the water to "99.5% pure" - - better than any you will buy in a bottle.:cool:

Hope this helps.

For the past several cruises we have taken bottles and filled them from the tap or in the Windjammer. It certainly is a lot cheaper than buying on board. It has been ok for us. You'll certainly want to take water on excursions.:D

Have you ever noticed the signs on the water dispensers in the Windjammer that request that you NOT fill your water bottle from the dispenser? Unless you sterilize your water bottles between use, a lot of germs can move from the neck of your bottle onto the filling dispenser if there is any contact. :eek:

It is much more sanitary to dispense a glass of water and then fill your bottle from the glass.

I took my liter bottle with me and filled from the sink in my cabin. I respected the signs that asked not to fill from dispensers in public places. I don't mind drinking at room temp, actually don't care for ice cold water, so it worked out well for me. Like an earlier post, they probably do a better job of monitorring the water onboard than your local municipality does, goodness knows I'd rather drink purified seawater than the stuff that comes out of the river (which is fortified from the sewage station upstream:eek: ). Just my $0.02. I think you'll be fine with the water onboard.

Herb

Yeah, my question was just about filling it in stateroom under sink, I wouldn't take my bottles into windjammer and stick them under the dispenser.

Again, thanks for those that replied! I appreciate it! This is gonna save me at least $50 bucks!!! Now I can spend that on something meaningful, like photographs or an excursion.

I'm still trying to envision that marketing department or product development meeting where, for the first time, someone suggested putting tap water in a bottle and charging an outrageous price for it.:D

They did a good job, though, as there are still some out there who truly believes they are getting spring water.:rolleyes:

They did a good job, though, as there are still some out there who truly believes they are getting spring water.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure whether that reveals more about them (the marketers) or us (the consumers).:rolleyes:

Have you ever noticed the signs on the water dispensers in the Windjammer that request that you NOT fill your water bottle from the dispenser? Unless you sterilize your water bottles between use, a lot of germs can move from the neck of your bottle onto the filling dispenser if there is any contact. :eek:

It is much more sanitary to dispense a glass of water and then fill your bottle from the glass.

When filling my water bottle in the cabin I use a glass. Those signs were not posted when I filled my own bottle. Even so I was very careful NOT to touch the dispenser. Most of the time, my bottle was filled by staff in the Windjammer from a pitcher. I am a nurse, and always use a paper towel to turn off water faucets and open doors in public places, so I would not be careless enough to touch where I could either give or receive bacteria.

Archived