Advice? Dawn vs Explorer - Suites and Kids

wendyvp

Hi. Can you help? We are trying to decide between these two cruises:

1-NCL Dawn April 16 Eastern Route for 10 nights. We have three adults and two kids (ages 2 and 3) and have reserved two connecting mini-suites for appx $8,700 (plus insurance). So there would be myself and my DH and one two-year son in one room (can sleep on the sofabed), and my mother and my three year old son in the second room.

2-RCCL Explorer June 2 Eastern Route for 9 nights. We have reserved two connecting grand suites (bigger than NCL mini-suites) but the cost is about $11,279 (plus ins).

Both are out of NYC, which is within driving distance for us. Although going out of Bayonne (RCCL) is probably easier.

We have always traveled on Royal Caribbean but may want to give Norwegian a try. My youngest son could participate in the NCL kid's program, which he would only be able to do the 45 minute playgroup on RCCL. My three year could do either. How do the kid's programs compare? If I have always liked the Voyager class ships, how will I like the Dawn? Is there enough room in the mini-suites for us, especially since my sons still take afternoon naps? If we go on NCL, either my DH or I would have to miss the evening show to put the kids to bed at a reasonable hour. But at least we'd have an adult meal since the kid's program runs in the evenings. On RCCL we have in-cabin babysitting, which has worked out great in the past. But is RCCL worth the price difference? How does the food, ship layout and shows compare? It must be hard to beat the Voyager class promenade, but we have been on the Voyager twice and change is good sometimes. There weren't any connecting Junior Suites still available on RCCL, as well as the Royal Family Suite (which we took last year) was booked. And I believe two regular balcony cabins on the Explorer might seem a bit cramped for us. And the family friendly AB penthouse on the Dawn was booked too. We are definitely booking pretty late, so hopefully something will work for us.

I'd appreciate any advice since I am not at all familiar with NCL.

thanks,

wendy

Did you get interconnecting mini-suite cabins?

You could save some more cash downgrading to interconnecting balcony cabins, or to side-by-side mini-suite and balcony cabins. Although there's only 4 balcony cabins on deck 11 where all the mini-suite cabins are located.

Three should fit into a standard balcony cabin, especially when one is a small child, two even easier.

The mini-suites aren't that much larger than a standard balcony cabin.

Mini-suite 229 sq. ft., balcony 54 sq. ft. (20.75 x 11 ft) (4.9 x 11 ft)

Balcony 166 sq. ft., balcony 37 sq. ft. (20.75 x 8 ft) (4.6 x 8 ft)

The mini-suites are approximately 3 feet wider for the entire length of the cabin. What does that 3 feet get you along with extra cash, a bath instead of a shower, and concierge services.

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise.

Our girls liked the kids clubs on both RCCL and NCL. Their favorite kids club in 5 cruises is the Dawn. Fun counselors and a very good variety of activities with different themes. The little one really liked the ball pit when she was younger and now they both like the excursions they take out of the kids club i.e. to teh sports deck for games or to the show as well as the thmed party nights. They usually go to the club after dinner nightly. Interestingly on our last Dawn cruise they asked to go sometimes during the day too, which surprised me as they enjoy the pool alot. That's how much they liked it.

I have not been on a Voyager class ship so cannot compare for you. But we do love the Dawn, it's probably my favorite ship with Radiance a close second.

If you can waitlist for the AB suite I would recommend it. WE LOVED the AB. Really good setup for a family, and NCL doees a great job with pampering the suite passengers.

One huge difference with NCL is freestyle dining. Some hate it, we really like it. Gives us much-needed flexibility with kids and their schedules. i.e. occasionally we will order them a room service dinner or bring something back from the buffet, then they go to the kids club at 7PM, so for a night we have an adult dinner and they don't have to sit throught a long dinner.. Or if you are ebjoying the port or the pool deck, you don'y have to cut it short to get ready for the first seating. For those who like traditional same waiter/table nightly this can also be arranged with the maitre d' . We have done this on teh Dawn as there is a waiter there who is really special and it is a treat to have him take care of us nightly.

Good luck with your decision. Looks like either way it will be great.

I booked an AD suite and rec'd 50% off inside cabin (across hall) on Dawn 4/16. They offer various deals if booking any suites. (AE or above). This worked out to be the most cost effective for me and mine. Your suite becomes home base and is roomy enough for everyone. Total price for me was under 8,000. Good luck and if you choose Dawn,and dont forget to join our roll call!

Archived