Has anyone done ship's excursion to Xel-Ha National Aquarium in Cozumel?

jana616

Hi, DH really wants to go to Xel-Ha when we are in Cozumel in a few weeks. I have a couple questions, and if anyone has some experience with this locale I would really appreciate your help!

We are thinking about doing this through the ship because there's a bit of travel involved and it doesn't appear to cost that much more than doing it on our own. However, our travel doc book lists the excursion as "Xel-Ha National Aquarium." Is this the same thing as the regular Xel-Ha we have heard about?

Anyone who has done it, how much time did you really have there? It says the excursion is 8 hours, but we know there is at least 2-3 hours round trip transport to get there.

Was it worth it?

Thanks!!!

I was at this park last June. I didn't not see an "aquarium" but had a great time there!!! It has a huge lagoon that you can snorkel in and see tons of fish. And much more. The food and drink was included and we had a nice meal there. They have a web site online. I am not sure what the address is but you can find it by a search.

You will enjoy this park!!!!!! It is worth the travel. We would definitly go again

Hope this helps.

We did this in conjuction with Tulum on our 03 cruise. Xel-Ha is wonderful and we really felt that if we ever did the Western C. again we would do this park alone. The Xel-Ha part was in the PM and there is no way you can enjoy everything at Zel-Ha in 3 hours! There is so much to do, snorkeling, floating around on a tube, laying in the sun and much more.

We booked the tour through RCCL and it was great. That tour was 8 hours when combined with Tulum in the AM, and we did not want to risk getting left at the dock.:eek: The worst part was the ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen, very rough.

If I where you I would check and see if they had any damage from the hurricane. It did hit that general area pretty bad.

Thumbs up on Xel-Ha.

My most memorable shore excursion ever was our trip to Xel-ha. We did it through the ship. I don't recall seeing an aquarium. The lagoon may be the "aquarium" they are referring to, but I'm not sure.

There are so many fish in the lagoon it really is like being in a gigantic salt-water aquarium. If you go, take some bread with you (a roll from breakfast maybe). My husband crumbled little pieces of bread from our lunch in front of my mask. The fish came so close to me some of them were actually bumping into my mask. It was an absolutely incredible experience. If you like to snorkel, you will really enjoy this. I've been on several cruises since and snorkel a lot and have never seen the abundance of beautiful fish that Xel-ha has.

There is an unusual aspect to the water there. Fresh water runs into it from land and salt water runs into it from the ocean. As the two mix, it can sometimes appear to be kind of foggy or like the water has oil in it. A little weird looking.

I did it when I was staying at an all inclusive. I also went to the ruins. If I could do it all over again, I would skip the ruins and go straight for the park. I don't know if they offer a park only tour. I would take that instead of doing both. Tulum is a one hour stroll. But the park has a river that you can float in, a lagoon that has wonderful fish, and so much more. We spent at least 6 hours there!!

Thanks for all the replies! FLCruisegirl, the excursion we are looking at is Xel-Ha only. Is that what you did? Do you recall how long you actually had at the park? If this is the only thing we are able to do, we want to be sure we get lots of time there. Thanks!

I too have been to Xel-Ha in a combo trip with Tulum. The ferry ride was very rough--think primary and secondary pukers.

The park was beautiful and we did not have enough time to explore it all. Tulum is beautiful--but for a day at the lagoon-Xel-ha is it. Be aware this is not really a "beach"--but more like many places in Cozumel--more like slippry rocks than sand--but beautiful. You can not use most sunscreen while there--as it can kill the fish.

I recall the bus ride being a little precarious--the roads are only 2 lanes--and I am not sure who makes up the rules!!!

Linda/Ohio

Xel-Ha is a natural park for snorkeling and exploring - has restaurants. You can choose all-inclusive or not. It is not on Cozumel - it is on the mainland on the Mayan Riviera. I suppose they take you on the ferry over from Cozumel or else a special boat tour to the park. I have been while staying at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico. Our favorite part was the snorkeling and the hanging out on an inner tube down the lazy river. We also swam with the dolphins here.

Archived