Cave Tubing in Belize Carnival Excursion

RedRoadKing02

I would suggest you book with X-stream cave tubing -- when I went to belize last year I did it with them and I got an extra cave -- and a smaller group only 8-10 people instead of the cattle heard (easily 20 - 30 people) ...

I wouldn't recommend taking a video camera / or regular camera unless you have a water proof housing....

Ditto what scejas said. I know it's not answering you're question about Carnival, but X-stream was great. And with X-stream you you can leave your stuff on the van and it's locked. However, I wouldn't take the chance w/ anything expensive. I took my digital w/ waterproof housing. It's an investment, but for me taking a bazillion photos, it's well worth the cost.

Another ditto - we used X-stream and were very happy, way smaller groups and significantly cheaper. Take a disposable waterproof (Fuji) it worked well for us, and if it gets bashed on a rock there won't be many tears!!!

If redroadking means motorcycles - check out the theme cruise postings. I just stumbled onto them yesterday and found harley cruises where you can take your own bike along to ride on the islands.

We took the carnival and were very happy. Only twenty people or less and two guides. I can't say anything as to the extra cave. The food and homemade salsa was the best ever, and they even gave me the recipe so I can make the beans and rice and salsa at home! The guides were super friendly and made even the bus ride memorable. You have a chance to leave your camera and stuff in a locker or locked on the bus. Hope this helps!:)

Has anyone did the Carnival Excursion Cave Tubing? I want to know if you take along Camcorder, Digital Camera etc is there someplace to lock them up. Is it possible to leave them on the vehicle that took you to the Tubing site?

Spend a few buck on a water proof disposable camera and use that.

Don't bring any "real" cameras with you to this, unless you are looking to replace them.

We did Coral Breeze. We also had the extra cave and a great lunch. It was fantastic. They did allow you to lock up your stuff in the van (Canival was a big Greyhound type bus load). I took my digital camera with waterproof housing and attached the strap to the life vest so my hands were free to paddle.

Don't miss it!!! One of the highlights of the trip!

Have Fun!!

CAVE TUBING.COM ;) They were the best, had only 12 in our group and 5 guides. Very personal and safe service with kids and elderly.:) I would not take more than a waterproof disposible, but if you were careful a disposible with flash would be better if you could keep it dry.

Quick question on Cave Tubing...

It sounds fun, but I'm concerned about the walking to the Cave? We have a range of 18 to 72 in our group.

Is this suggested for an older couple? I'm not in the greatest shape myself anymore. :D

I heard there is a long rough walk after the drive? How long and how rough?

Thanks in advance for more detail.

Thanks,

We did Xtreme Cave Tubing just 3 weeks ago and absolutely loved it! It is a long walk after you get off the bus, about 45 minutes, though it didn't seem that long. There are no steep hills, or any 'real' hills for that matter. Also, you are walking on a trail through a tropical rain forest, so the sun may be shining brightly beyond the trees, but you are well sheltered by them, actually making the walk feel cool most times. Yes, in my opinion it is a nice walk that you can pace yourself (one of the guides remains at the rear) and enjoy the rewards of the cave afterward! Have a fantastic time if you do it, you won't regret it! It's up there with one of the top ten things I have done in my life!

It sounds fun, but I'm concerned about the walking to the Cave? We have a range of 18 to 72 in our group.

Is this suggested for an older couple? I'm not in the greatest shape myself anymore. :D

Thanks,

I haven't done this myself, but my 19 year old son did.......

I don't think there is walking IN the cave.......I think you just tube right thru, provided the water is high enough.......

There is quite a bit of walking from the bus to the start point, and from the end point to the bus, (at least from what I remember him telling me).

I would leave the tubing to those in good physical shape, and the others can enjoy the photos.......

I did go on a snorkeling tour at Goff's Caye which was pretty awesome. If you can swim a little bit and/or float, you may want to try this.....

There would really not be any use for a camcorder on this excursion since you'd have to leave it locked in the bus. A waterproof camera of some sort is really the best, and I recommend a neck strap so that you can use both hands for paddling when needed.

The walk to the beginning of the river float is about 30 minutes long and not particularly difficult, but it was a brisk pace and there is high humidity there, so I don't think it would be as enjoyable for somewhat in poor physical condition. The footing can be slippery in places if there has been rain since it can be very muddy. You also need to be able to paddle and get in and out of your tube.

It is a very fun excursion, but I would be reasonable about who should go on it. I personally wouldn't recommend it for young children, or anyone who is not used to a little exercise.

Thanks,

The last part of the drive is very rough...But fun.

The walk...

It depends on what time of year you go.

If it's the rainy season you could encounter mud on the trails which would make it difficult for some to walk on (the mud is very slippery). There is a location that you cross the river to get to the trail that flows pretty good (you hang on to a rope as you cross).

Finally the water is cold. (You get used to it fast).

Our guide (JR) was great a keeping up with the group and we felt safe the whole time. He even carried some of the older and younger folks tubes.

That said...DO NOT MISS IT!!! We had a blast!

I also suggest booking with: Coral Breeze, Xtreme, Cavetubing.com or someone else that can give you a more personal experience (8-12 per group) and two caves with lunch. When we saw the Carnival group they has about 75+ in their group. We passed by them as they were getting in the water to go through one cave.

Have Fun!!

We took the carnival and were very happy. Only twenty people or less and two guides. I can't say anything as to the extra cave. The food and homemade salsa was the best ever, and they even gave me the recipe so I can make the beans and rice and salsa at home! The guides were super friendly and made even the bus ride memorable. You have a chance to leave your camera and stuff in a locker or locked on the bus. Hope this helps!:)

Where are the lockers? I like taking photos (lots of photos) as I would like to take photos on the way to the tube site and a digital camera is best.

I will be taking disposable waterproof also.

thanks

People who weren't on the Carnival excursion keep saying the groups were like 75-100+ and in my experience this was absolutely not true. There may have been that many people off the ship doing the Carnival tour, but we were broken down into groups of 30 or less with 2 or 3 guides. I'm not saying that the independent tours aren't better, but please don't grossly overexaggerate about the Carnival tours numbers if you weren't even on it.:)

What about Cave Tubing in August? We are going the first week of August, 2006?

What about the heat in the jungle? What about the water levels? Is this the dry season, dry and hot, or rainy season?

Will the waters be moving fast or very slow and needing to walk alot?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice or personal experience.

The lockers were at the restaurant before you get to the river. I bought a waterproof bag and camera hosing so I took both cameras and jst put the regular expensive digital in the waterproof bag as we got in our tubes and used the waterproof digitl for the tubing.:)

Archived