Stress free flying tips - How many of you?

flagger

We were just printing off our boarding passes and noticed our flight times had changed to have us arriving after our ship sails. Of course it matters not, because we are flying in a day early. However it did spur me to check the new flight schedules and print off a sheet with all the alternate flights both coming and going with all possible different routings.

I wonder how many of you do the same. Having worked for an airline, it is far faster to call reservations to change your flights then stand in a long line at some customer service desk at an airport. It also makes it easier on reservations if you have the flight numbers and times handy when you call.

The dogs are at the kennel. The sheets are in the wash and we are almost ready to be gone gone gone.

It's true. It is also easier with most airlines to go on-line and reserve (hold, not pay for) a flight you want to change to, then call a rep on the phone and tell them you want to cancel the original and change to the hold. Sometimes, when you call without doing this, the rep either does not show the flight or the flight has already been grabbed by someone else before you can get through.

Some more stress-free tips:

Already have a sense of an alternate plan if things get really messed up. Like, know what other airlines have convenient flights to where you are going in case everything goes wrong and you need to get to your destination some other way.

Don't let the lines get to you. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get all crabby because they have to wait to check in, wait to go through security, etc. In some ways, the airport experience can only be as bad you let it get. Just get to the airport with time to spare, take a deep breath, and create a bubble of calmness around you. This especially comes in handy on the day you have to fly home from your cruise!

I used to work for an airline and flew standby all the time. I also used to carry a pocket OAG in the days before the internet to find alternate arrangements on other carriers. I am not as worried about getting home as we have the day off after we get back because of MLK day.

Thanks for the suggestion Flagger. I'll also put it on my "to do" list before we sail in March.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that the weather is warm and sunny.;) :D

Garry

This is a good reason to keep your cell phone with you, even on your cruise. Keep it with you until you are on the ship, and then turn it off once you know you are safely on board with no problems. The last night on the ship (assuming you were nice and kept it turned off the entire cruise), plug it in and charge it up. That way it is ready to use the next day if you need it. Even if you aren't flying, it is a good idea to have it handy, especially in case of delays.

I keep the cruiseline's day of travel # programmed into my phone, in addition to the 800 #s of most airlines.

I'm usually so nervous that I usually print out three boarding passes. I carry one, the other is in the carryon and the last is in one of the luggages. Also, I carry a PDA so the flight alternatives and other travel info are stored there.

Have a safe and enjoyable sail!

When making our return flight reservations from Los Angeles to Orlando, we were afraid to choose the early flight out which was a direct flight due to possible traffic and transfer problems from the port of LA to LAX that morning. I did however bring that flight info with us and as it turned out we got to LAX in time to change to the early flight. Saved us tons of time.

Flagger...thanks for bringing this up...I had been looking at my airline reservations from time to time to make sure there hadn't been an changes to my plans. Low an behold, I took a look today, and my flight was cancelled due to AA not flying in to Long Beach. Thanks to you this was resolved easily and quickly! Thanks...Nancy

Flagger, I do the same. In addition, I travel with my laptop and a wireless card so I keep up-to-date on my itinerary and other options. Pre-flight I also check my flight.

This was a good thing just this week. I am going to Maui in February. I just checked my flight yesterday which I do every week or so and it happened to have been suddenly flagged with a "call us" indicator saying there was a change. Turns out my connection changed and left me only 5 minutes to change planes. Called United and the women was great. Got a choice of new flights (I had used miles to upgrade to first class, so she made sure to get me on flights that would enable me to keep the upgrade). New flights are only a 15 minute difference from what I had, but because I checked early enough I had options. If I hadn't checked before hand, I would have been "stuck" with less options. So in summary, my advise is don't book months out and ignore, keep checking and follow up on changes!

We are not taking our laptop nor a printer, so I won't be printing boarding passes on the return. However we should be able to get service at some point on the return or even before we leave the ship so I can check flight status and make changes as necessary.

Archived