HELP! RE: NYC Cruise Terminal Port

twinss

We are booked on the April 16, 2006 cruise on the Spirit from NY. We need to get from Boston to the NYC Cruise Terminal and are trying to determine the best way to get there. We are considering bus, car and plane (although I prefer not to fly). Anyone know what the cost to park a vehicle is at the Port? Is the parking area secure? Or is taking a bus the best way to go? Where can I get more info on a bus line from Boston to NY? As a third option, how far away is the airport from the Cruise Terminal? I guess the bottom line is: What's the most convenient?

Thank you so much for any feedback you can provide.:confused:

I believe parking is around 22 dollars a day. I'm on the March 19th sailing of the Spirit. I'll be taking Amtrak to New York. Taxi to the ship from Penn Station is less than 10 dollars. Bonanza runs from Boston to New York everyday, as well as the other big bus lines. Hope this helps.

Don't know the cost of parking but do know that the parking area is quite secure. I do believe that somewhere in your brochure (in the back) there should be a phone number that you can call to get a price for parking. However, I would get there early because of traffic.

Here's a link to the New York Passenger Ship Terminal's web site:

http://www.nypst.com/

They have lots of good info posted - directions, a map, parking fees, etc. The daily parking fee is now $24/day. Everything I've read about the pier's parking lot indicates that it's safe.

As far as the most convenient way of getting to the pier ... the Port Authority bus terminal in NYC is very close to the pier. Probably a $5-10 cab fare depending on traffic. Penn Station, which is where the train terminates, is only slightly farther than the bus terminal. Since trains tend to be more comfortable than buses, I'd lean toward the train.

Flying into NYC from Boston would probably take you to LaGuardia. From there, you have numerous options to get to the pier, but the easiest would be taking a cab. I estimate a cab to the pier from LGA would cost $40.

You can also look at panynj.gov This is supposed to be the web site for the Port authority that takes care of the parking garage. From what I understand, it costs $22.00/day. You could also get a flight to Newark/Liberty airport which I think is less expensive that Lga but I think that if I were you, I might try to drive myself. ;)

We come in from Long Island and ALWAYS take the commuter rail.

There are elevators at Penn Station, and then the cab ride is usually $8 or so, including tip (Sunday morning traffic). It is so painless and stressless to go this way.

Going back, we DO NOT LINE UP ON THE PIER for a cab.

We simply walk across the street, and hail a cab. Over/under on getting a cab is 30 seconds.

We've parked on the pier every year for 6 in a row now, it's very safe. And it is definitely the most convenient. You pull up and give the longshoremen your luggage (and some of your $$$), and then drive upstairs to park. You can the get off the ship ahead of everyone else, if you'd like to hold on to your luggage the night before, and carry it all off. This can be a zoo, but you're off an hour or two before everyone else. But if you don't want to do that, NCL lets you stay in your cabin until you disembark, unlike the other lines, where you have to go to the public areas to wait for your deck to be called. Even with my 2 small children we manage with the luggage, and we're home in NJ long before our deck would be called to get off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When we took the 11 day Christmas cruise last year on the Dawn we drove from south New Jersey (all the way at the bottom of the state) it took us 2-1/2 hours and this was during the strike. We parked right at the pier, it was very easy. My husband dropped us off with luggage they took it right away and we waited right inside for him, it took him about 10 mins.

The parking fee is $24. per day or anything more then 7 days you are charged a flat monthly fee of $180.

Archived