balcony privacy question

eheffner

What sort of partitions exist between balconies for privacy on M class ships. Are they metal or semi transparent plastic or glass? We have booked our first balcony for a 20th anniversary cruise and were fortunate enough to get an aft cabin for our april Millenium eastern carribean cruise. I'm just curious because from the photos I've seen the partitions look semi-transparent. Never having had a balcony before, not sure what to expect.

Okay, reading between the lines you CANNOT see between the balconies unless you lean WAY over the railing and look in. And you CANNOT see thru the glass partitions. This way if you want to do some au natural sunbathing or anything else you are fine. BTW, we never do this sort of thing;)

Since you have a AFT stateroom there is one more thing.

Because of balconies lenght there is a support for partitions so there is some space in the partitions -- about a inch one each side of the support.:rolleyes:

It is possible to sometimes see into the balconies from above. I happened to look down from a dining room alcove on the Summit and observe a passenger enjoying nature naturally. It was not something I wanted to see! Aditionally we could see into a number of balconies from our own mid-ship balcony.

from 8046, 6048 and similar cabins with that extra triangular addition to the balcony, you can look into the balconies behind you. Do not get the rooms right next to these cabins. Look at the ship layout and you will see what I mean.

Also, beware of the cabins right next to the Celebrity Suites. They extend out a few feet from the side of the ship and allow viewing into nearby balconies. Of course, one would have to stand right at the windows to see out which means that everyone could watch the watcher. :confused: At least that is what my DH says. :rolleyes:

Susan

Wow, if this is your first balcony are you about to be spoiled. We have had the aft cabins last two trips and they are great.

As far as privacy, they are "semi private" :D. Yep you could enjoy the weather au natural but only if you don't mind someone else seeing you also. The partitions are semi-transparent plastic panels with a small gap between the suporting posts and the panel. At the far end the people above you have a pretty good view of the last 4 feet of your veranda. Plus anyone next door standing at the end of their veranda can glance over their shoulder and see most of yours.

With all that said, we are pretty private people and have never felt uncomfortable on our rear veranda.

BTW , have breakfast delivered and set up outside. Great... :)

We were in the Celebrity suite 8104 and could look into the balcony of the cabin next to us and vise versa. We just kept the shade down on the first window panel. Deck nine and eight are at an angle. I don't think it is as severe on decks 7 and 6.

It is possible to sometimes see into the balconies from above. I happened to look down from a dining room alcove on the Summit and observe a passenger enjoying nature naturally. It was not something I wanted to see! Aditionally we could see into a number of balconies from our own mid-ship balcony.
That won't pertain to the aft CC balconies.

Having spent a fair bunch of time on these, I'd confirm all of the above observations. The glass panels, while they allow a great deal of light, are not transparent. At best, you'll get a sense of shadow as someone moves around on the other side. But as someone did point out, if you were to look, there are gaps (not a whole inch, I don't think, but perhaps 1/2" or so at least) at the supports of the panels. If someone really did make a point of getting right up to these gaps, you'd see a narrow angle of what was on the other side.

The first full 1/3 or so of each of these balconies is covered by solid steel -- the floor of the balcony or deck above. You're guaranteed some shade that way, and it's the most private part of these huge verandas. It's also where you'll want to put those fabric covered loungers, socks drying on chairs, and any luggage you've set out -- in the event that it rains!

The next bit is covered by an 'awning' of sorts -- tubular steel supports with canvas-like material lashed to it. From above, you can just see a bit through the gaps. Still fairly private, but not quite as much as the first 1/3.

The last section out towards the railing is exposed to the great outdoors, and is sunny a large part of the time during most cruises. If you want to chat with your neighbors, you can walk out to the railing where the last panel angles down to railing level.

As previously stated there are balconies on several decks that are oddly shaped and when standing at the rail, you can look forward or aft (depending on whether the cabin is aft or forward) and see the other standard shaped balconies between. especially those on lower decks.

As previously stated there are balconies on several decks that are oddly shaped and when standing at the rail, you can look forward or aft (depending on whether the cabin is aft or forward) and see the other standard shaped balconies between. especially those on lower decks.
I'm with you, but the original post referenced having snagged one of the aft CC cabins. Didn't want the OP to think that some of the other commentary applied to those cabins.

I have had a balcony twice and I can say FOR SURE I would NOT be sunbathing nude-Now neither time was on Celebrity-once was Carnival Miracle and once was on Disney Wonder- the Disney balcony was a little more private-still not enough I would feel comfortable to be nude out there.

I read a post once last year at cruisecritic where a person wrote that they were out on their balcony while in port-and they were docked catty-cornered to another ship. They said they saw an overweight older man walk out on his balcony nude to put his swimsuit out to dry-they could also see inside the room and the woman was changing clothes. So you should consider that also when docked in port.

Archived