Solo traveller – Caribbean

Ashling

I am booked on a caribbean cruise this Dec on Britannia and as this will be my first solo cruise I am not sure what to expect.

Do P & O still arrange events for solo travellers. I would really appreciate any advice that solo travellers can offer.

Many thanks in advance

On the first sea day, and other sea days, they organise solo travellers coffee mornings, usually 10 o’clock. These are in the horizon, which is the daily mini paper which you’re given each evening to let you know what is happening the next day on board. Always check in the Horizon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My experience is the only events are sea day coffee mornings. I had a hosted lunch on Oriana some years ago but nothing since. The entertainment staff are so overworked now that hosted events are unlikely. There is also the problem of numbers with sometimes dozens of solos turning up to the coffee mornings.

The solo get together coffee mornings have always been hosted in my experience.

There is a table put aside at afternoon tea for solo travellers to eat together.

If on club dining I have been seated at a table with other solo travellers. Then it is easy to say, "I'm off to the theatre, anyone else coming?" and that usually turns into having a post show drink with new holiday friends.

Deck games (shuffle board, quoits) are organised so that at every session you are paired randomly, and existing pairs are separated, so no need to feel out of place.

As a solo traveller it is always easy to find a seat in the buffet and in the theatre if you do go on your own.

Also they sometimes have coffee mornings to meet before going ashore. I would do this in the Caribbean; though I prefer going alone in Europe or Scandanavia some of the Caribbean ports don't feel as safe.

Also they sometimes have coffee mornings to meet before going ashore. I would do this in the Caribbean; though I prefer going alone in Europe or Scandanavia some of the Caribbean ports don't feel as safe.

Clodia - is the purpose of the coffee morning so that solo's can meet up and go ashore together?

I completely understand your comment re safety. I am a little nervous as this will be my first time doing a solo cruise and my first time to the Caribbean. My intention is to book all the excursions with P & O.

Any advice you can give to a virgin solo traveller would be greatly appreciated

Clodia - is the purpose of the coffee morning so that solo's can meet up and go ashore together?

I completely understand your comment re safety. I am a little nervous as this will be my first time doing a solo cruise and my first time to the Caribbean. My intention is to book all the excursions with P & O.

Any advice you can give to a virgin solo traveller would be greatly appreciated

Solo traveller coffee mornings are usually only on sea days. Occasionally, on longer longer (+14 days) there will be get together (probably unhosted) on port days, often a group will then decide to go ashore together.

Solo traveller coffee mornings are usually only on sea days. Occasionally, on longer longer (+14 days) there will be get together (probably unhosted) on port days, often a group will then decide to go ashore together.

Thanks for clarifying:)

I go on my own and I am disabled. It was scary the first time I went on my own, but felt comfortable after a few days. I’m off to Caribbean in October on my own. Once you’ve done your first Cruise, they’ll be no stopping you go. Everyone chats to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi all,just joined the site :D

I will be cruising on the brittannia on the 18 august for the first cruise on my own,i was a bit nervous about going on my own but having read the comments in this post I feel much better,

hi all,just joined the site :D

I will be cruising on the brittannia on the 18 august for the first cruise on my own,i was a bit nervous about going on my own but having read the comments in this post I feel much better,

Hi Tiny 179, You will have to come back here and let me know how it went and what I can expect from my first solo trip on Britannia:)