Cucumber Beach

snow

Has any body ever been this place ? We are looking for someplace close to hang out for a while & I've come across this beach but would like to hear from a few people who have actually been there.

Thanks

Mike

I would like to know as well, we are leaving 1/28 and since the Grand Princess leaves this port at 1:30 that doesn't leave us much time to get to a beach and really be able to relax. This seems like a much closer option then Caye Caulker

As TravelWorks said, it's a brand new location I suppose. I'd never heard of it as I thought Belize didn't have any sand type beaches so to speak of. We went to Caye Caulker and it was wonderful for the day, I'm still hoping to get back for longer.

I am sorry...

I have answered this question before and didn't feel like retyping all the info out again...found my old posts...copied it and pasted it below....for more info on beaches and snorkeling locations please link into my previous posts... also below...Have fun in Belize!

SNORKELING GOFF'S CAYE:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=273574

Cay Caulker questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=271166

Turneffe Reef/Blue Hole info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269250

CUCUMBER BEACH INFO BELOW:

Cucumber Beach and the Old Belize Museum

Here is the website.

www.oldbelize.com

I haven't actually been here~ I was really hoping to get a peak this last month when I was there and just did not have the time and I really need a good review of this place...I have watched this development with great interest! It is a new location!

(I should add right here that this is a beach & museum...there is no snorkeling...no reef here....for that info please link into the sites above and feel free to ask me questions there....although there is a marina here next to Cucmber beach and you can hire a snorkel tour to the cayes/reef from this location...if you email them in advance!)

I try to go to Belize every year and honestly~ sometimes I have people with me who are really into historical experiences and not so much into the outdoor stuff of jungles and such...I need to be able to recommend it with confidence...so please let me know how this goes!

I have been excited that they have done this museum and beach (man-made or not!)...because up till this past year there was no such beach area within a taxi drive from the port...you always had to go by boat to one of the cayes and at a pretty great expense...

I contacted them last August right after they opened and asked questions...here was their return email to me ....I pasted below:

Hi Amy,

Thanks for considering Old Belize Cultural and Historical Center as your destination. Old Belize offers an unforgettable experience that will provide you with an excellent orientation and appreciation for the country and people of Belize.

Our entrance fee for the museum is $10.00 U.S. per person, and this includes a free pass for the beach. If you wish to only visit the beach the entrance fee is $5.00 U.S. for person.

You can make your way to Old Belize by contacting the Taxi Cruise Ship Association (www.belizetaxitour.com), which has an office at the Tourist village, that’s where your tender boat will dock. Old Belize is only five miles from where you will dock.

Almost everyone speaks English in Belize because it was once occupied by the British...so you shouldn't have any troubles communicating!

I would email the taxi company for a $ quote from them....5 miles...shouldn't take more than 10 minutes each way....

The real question is if you need to arrange a taxi to pick you up at a certain time for your return...because there are plenty at the port willing to take you where you want to go~ Or if they will stay there and wait for you...like in Honduras, where once you hire them they are yours for the day... I really doubt this since it is still inside the city...but it never hurts to ask!

They told me it would take about an hour to go through the tour of the Museum when I called them...plus you will want time to relax at Cucumber Beach...so you'll need to do the math and talk to your driver about the time you want him/her to pick you up with enough time to return for some shopping...

Although I am not very found of the shopping area at the pier...there are better places to shop in the Western Caribbean...!!!

Here also is the info for the Museum/Marina/Beach below in case you need it!

Good Luck!:)

Amy

Old Belize Cultural and Historical Center,

Mile 5 Western Highway,

Belize City, Belize

Phone: (011-501-) 222-4286 or 222-4129

Fax: 011-501- 222-4199

Email: info@oldbelize.com

I don't know their hours..but if they are a tourist trap and a ship is in port...I can't imagine they wouldn't be open the minute the tourists arrive! I know that the restaurant there at the Museum only opens for lunch and dinner....Please let everyone know the hours if you find out!

Thanks!

Archived