Capt. Marvin or Buccaneer?

newbie280106

We've decided to do a three stop snorkelling trip in grand cayman and the two providers that give three stops seem to be captain Marvin and Buccaneer and we're having a hard time deciding between them.

They both seem to have a lot of good reviews (and I've seen a few -ve for Buccaneer, non for CM).

I have a few specific questions for those who have been that will hopefully help us decide.

1) how far is the drive to the boat (Buc says 15 min, CM says where it is but not how long)

2) how long do we get at each stop?

3) I see CM gives free water and punch and B says that you have to BYOB and that water and punch are available. Anyone know if they're included?

4) any advantage/disadvantage to being on a catamaran vs motorized boat.

5) # of people on board.

Also does anyone have an email for Buccaneer?

We did Captain Marvin's last week - our second time to use them. It was about a 3-block walk from tender docks to the Captain Marvin's office. We were supposed to check in by 9:15 for a 10:00 tour, but were there about an hour early. We ended up boarding the van and leaving by 9:00, which was nice. (We had extra time for shopping at the end of our excursion.) Then we drove in a van to their pier and rode in boat from that point to the snorkeling points/Stingray City.

I believe we had about 25 minutes in each of the the 3 stops. The first stop we snorkeled in a spot in the channel. Very nice.

Next stop was a barrier reef. Here our guide coaxed a huge moray eel -at least 4 feet long - out from under some coral for us to see and photograph. After that, he led us to another spot and there coaxed out a nurse shark (probably 4-5 feet long). He swam with the shark, and then turned it over and petted it's underside. It was a really cool experience. Several off us touched the shark.

Our last stop was stingray city. We all got the touch, hold and kiss the stingrays, then he gave us a back massage with the stingray. There were not as many there as the first time we visited. Since it was our last stop, they had probably been fed to the point they were not very interested in us. Still, it was a lot of fun.

We were on a smaller motorized boat than last time, so we did not have a videographer. There was plenty of ice water and fruit punch available - at not charge. They also sprayed us off with fresh water after our last stop at Stingray City. I would guess that there were probably 25-30 on our boat.

We did Captain Marvin's last week - our second time to use them. It was about a 3-block walk from tender docks to the Captain Marvin's office. We were supposed to check in by 9:15 for a 10:00 tour, but were there about an hour early. We ended up boarding the van and leaving by 9:00, which was nice. (We had extra time for shopping at the end of our excursion.) Then we drove in a van to their pier and rode in boat from that point to the snorkeling points/Stingray City.

I believe we had about 25 minutes in each of the the 3 stops. The first stop we snorkeled in a spot in the channel. Very nice.

Next stop was a barrier reef. Here our guide coaxed a huge moray eel -at least 4 feet long - out from under some coral for us to see and photograph. After that, he led us to another spot and there coaxed out a nurse shark (probably 4-5 feet long). He swam with the shark, and then turned it over and petted it's underside. It was a really cool experience. Several off us touched the shark.

Our last stop was stingray city. We all got the touch, hold and kiss the stingrays, then he gave us a back massage with the stingray. There were not as many there as the first time we visited. Since it was our last stop, they had probably been fed to the point they were not very interested in us. Still, it was a lot of fun.

We were on a smaller motorized boat than last time, so we did not have a videographer. There was plenty of ice water and fruit punch available - at not charge. They also sprayed us off with fresh water after our last stop at Stingray City. I would guess that there were probably 25-30 on our boat.

We are going with Captain Marvin in April for the 3 hour tour. Hope we made the right choice!!

After an experience several years back, when our Captain Marvin's crew had to rescue several snorkelers from a neighboring excursion at Stingray City (because the other operator was a fly-by-night who didn't have a properly trained crew, or equipped boat that started drifting away from the patrons), I wouldn't hesitate to book with them again.

One of the passengers from the neighboring boat also ended up having a heart attack in the water after panicking. Captain Marvin's staff administered CPR and used their emergency radio to rendevous with a police/EMS boat to have the victim transferred while still out on the bay, which saved precious time (unfortunately, we learned that the heart attack was massive due to a previously undiscovered heart defect and the passenger didn't recover).

Compare that to the other boat, who was using an anchor too small to hold it in place (which is why it started drifting away from its patrons), had only a crew of two for 40 people (only one crew member who could swim), and ABANDONED his passengers after seeing the Captain Marvin's crew start pulling everyone out of the water.

Again, after that experience I wouldn't hesistate to book with Captain Marvin's.

Hi,

Was wondering...I have arthiritc knees and ankles, and am also a big guy. Would I have any trouble getting back to into Cm's boat or the Buccanner Catamaran? I'd like to go, just have misgivings about, yeah fine I get into the water, can I get back into the boat again? :)

Thanks!

Mike

Hi,

Was wondering...I have arthiritc knees and ankles, and am also a big guy. Would I have any trouble getting back to into Cm's boat or the Buccanner Catamaran? I'd like to go, just have misgivings about, yeah fine I get into the water, can I get back into the boat again? :)

Thanks!

Mike

I have arthritis, and I had no problem getting in and out of CM's boats (and I'm not a Twiggy, either). Don't worry, you won't have a problem. We've done CM's twice, and had a great time both times. This last time, we were the ONLY boat out at Stingray City, and the other two snorkeling stops. It was amazing.

There's a platform along the back of the boat that runs the width of the boat, and there are two ladders that go down into the water. The crew stood next to these and helped everyone out. It's easy to get in and snap to get out of the water.

The only frightening thing was watching our DVD (from the trip). The gal videoed us from under the water! Lordy, I thought Shamu was swimming by until I reazlized it was me and I was waving!!!!! :)

Have fun!

I have one more question about this thread. We are cruising in April. How far in advance do you recommend booking Captain Marvins? Should I do it now? There will be two adults and one toddler. Thank you in advance.

We are cruising in April and I just booked Captain Marvins the other day.

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing Carnival Miracle for arrival April 4th and I booked tour a week ago.

I contacted Capt. Marvin's asking for availability and had a prompt response back that there was room. (We chose the short early excursion to allow for some time at the end.)

Please see my post on Time Zone--this should help with early tours booked after April 2nd.

We had booked the Buccaneer for our arrival on April 10 in Cayman, There will be 18 of us on a catamaran that holds 25, so we are pretty excited about it. Just checking for those who have been on the Buccaneer do they take you to the sandbar? not the other portion where it is to deep?

• 9 months later...
We had booked the Buccaneer for our arrival on April 10 in Cayman, There will be 18 of us on a catamaran that holds 25, so we are pretty excited about it. Just checking for those who have been on the Buccaneer do they take you to the sandbar? not the other portion where it is to deep?

How do you know how many people on the same excursion? Before I booked it, I asked the Live Help and the lady didn't want to say and said that she couldn't see the numbers of ppl in the system.

I asked all kinds of questions and she suggested me to book the excursion with the cruise line. How odd that she pushed away the business? :confused:

We went with Buccaneer in August 06 and it was great. A little bit long 4 blocks walk from the tender port but it was no problem.

About the capacity I asked the same question and this was their reply:

Good morning,

The 50ft by 27ft Catamaran can comfortably service 55 passengers, 40 passengers max are reserved at one time during the busiest periods in order to provide additional room.

Thank you,

We had about 30+ for our group but it was not crowded at all. Check out the link to the video montage. You will have a great time with this crew.

We are going with Captain Marvin in April for the 3 hour tour. Hope we made the right choice!!

You have made an excellent choice and if you are lucky perhaps the captain himself will pilot your boat. He is ninety and was the captain of our boat, we had a great time. Plenty of fish and sting rays.

Archived