How far is the Butterfly Farm?

Toad

Well, it's a few miles and I wouldn't suggest walking it.

The Butterfly Farm is located on a side road just off of West Bay Rd (the main street up and down Seven Mile Beach). It's across the street from the Cinema and around the corner from the Pizza Hut, if you're seeking a landmark.

Wouldn't suggest walking it because of the heat, the area, or the distance? Cruiseline offers a tour, but it says it only lasts an hour. S/O is a photographer and wants more time there?????

Heat? YES. People seriously overestimate their heat tolerance.

Area? No. Cayman is probably the safest destination on your itinerary, including your point of departure.

Distance? I'd guess about 2 miles. Is that level of physical exertion normal for you, in possibly high heat and humidity?

There are many local buses (our buses are mostly large vans) going up West Bay Rd. Walk the couple of blocks to the bus station by the library in town near the tender docks. From there, all buses with the letters WB are going your way.

Ask for the driver to stop by the Pizza Hut. This is a major intersection, a T-junction. You'll then need to cross West Bay Rd and the Butterfly Farm is down that side road on the left, about 1/2 a block - opposite the cinema.

Drew: Thanks for the info. I really am into walking and therefore think we may give it a shot, but the bus sounds lik a good altrnative. Any othr good areas in Grand Cayman to view nature and possibly get some great pics...

Any othr good areas in Grand Cayman to view nature and possibly get some great pics...

Definitely! The Queen Elizabeth Botanic Park would be my first choice for nature photography. Definitely not within walking distance, it's about 15 miles form the docks. Rent a car, since cabs cost too much. It's off Frank Sound Rd, about as far as you can get from the water, near the middle of the eastern part of the island.

Drew,

We will be in GC in Feb. Must of us are doing the stingray & snorkel trip. My parents are not up to this. They plan on doing the butterfly farm then meeting up with us at a predetermined area later for some beach time. My question is how long can they reasonably expect to spend here? They like to take things sloooow , If that helps. Thanks.

Drew,

My parents ...plan on doing the butterfly farm ... My question is how long can they reasonably expect to spend here? They like to take things sloooow

Well, to a entomologist I'm sure all day wouldn't be long enough. But I rather suspect that an hour or two is all the typical person would stay.

I've heard nice things about the information the staff of the Butterfly Farm can provide. Really know their stuff. Additionally they have shown a real interest in developing their project in a way to keep form accidentally releasing non-native species and upsetting nature's balancing act down here.

Drew is there a bus? Where can you rent a car? Do you knw how much it would be? For the car, or the cab? Botanical Garden sounds good.

Buses are occasional, at best, to the eastern districts. All leave from the same depot by the library. there is no set timetable! Bus fares to these further distrcits vary according to how far you go, but it would be about US$5 per person each way at a maximum. Often for a small extra charge the driver will make small diversions of the main route. Entry to the Botanic Park is about a half mile off the main road.

Getting there by bus isn't as hard as getting back. Walk out to the main road and stick out your thumb. You'll probably hitch a lift before a bus passes. Seems it's only about 1 bus per hour through there.

Car rental rates vary widely. We've got some tiny cars you'll never see in the States. Oversized moterized roller skates! Rental car is probably less than US$60 all included (license and insurance), though ask opinions on this board. Just a guess.

Boatanic Park is quite an affordable attraction. Last I recall it was less than US$10 per person admission charge.

Drew,

Thank you for your response on the butterfly farm. One more question if you don't mind. Could my parents feasibly get to the turtle farm from there with little trouble. I know they would enjoy both. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about GC with all of us.:)

Drew,

Thank you for your response on the butterfly farm. One more question if you don't mind. Could my parents feasibly get to the turtle farm from there with little trouble. I know they would enjoy both. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about GC with all of us.:)

From the Butterfly Farm, walk back over to West Bay Rd and cross the road to the northbound side (across from Pizza Hut). Then flag down any of the numerous buses which will be heading up to the Turtle Farm. Should be fairly easy.

Archived