How casual can you get?

Tucson17

Other lines, celebrity, HAL, etc, have relaxed their dress codes in the face of a more informal world. Princess tries to masquerade as a more "formal" cruise line which is becoming even more of a farce as time advances. Want to go formal? Go on Cunard which is owned by Carnival Corp.

I believe that word, masquerade, says it all.

Princess is definitely trying to attract new business by becoming more a relaxed cruise line but at the same time trying to maintain a more formal appearance without joining the crowd.

There nothing to keep people from dressing as formally as they like on any given night or venue.

After completing our third Alaska cruise last week (out of 22 total Princess cruises), I can definitely say that there are far fewer doing formal night on Alaska cruises than others. I took NO formal or even semi-formal attire this time due to several flights and the Rocky Mountaineer train before the cruise. Only a sport coat, button down shirt (which of course takes no tie) and one pair of dress slacks. Whether it's the airline restrictions or the weather, or the generally more casual nature of Alaska, you will see almost no formal attire at all.