Itinerary change-help me learn about Costa Maya please!

jana616

Hello, RCCL just changed our itinerary from Jamaica to Costa Maya, with only two weeks until we sail. (Don't get me started on how mad I am!) I know absolutely nothing about CM since I didn't think we'd be going. We are also going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, and we are trying to decide where to do what, since they seem to offer much of the same type of stuff. Over the course of the 3 ports, DH wants to snorkel or possibly dive (he's certified, I'm not), I wouldn't mind a little snorkeling, a little beach time, a little shopping, and a little exploring. We were going to do the Canopy Tour in Jamaica, which I was excited about because it was different from just beach type stuff. Is there anything like that here? (Active, not just beachy).

Basically, any help, recommendations, info would be greatly appreciated. I had spent weeks researching Jamaica and I am feeling very unprepared for this change!

I have heard nothing but fabulous reviews from David and Ivan's Chacchoben Ruins tour http://www.chacchobenruins.com/ Browse the boards here and you'll see what I mean.

We are going in February and I can't wait. Also, the tour is only 3-4 hours leaving plenty of time for beach/beers, etc...

Happy Cruising!

Costa Maya is a port that didn't used to be there! They have carved it out of the bush just north of the little fishing of Majahual. There is a L O N G pier and then shops and a swimming pool at the end of the pier.

You can go out the back side of the shops and grab taxis to Majahual. ($3 to the village and $2 back pp.) I have read that there are also golf carts that you can rent.

In Majahual (which is only about 6 blocks total) you can find food to eat, lots of things to buy, and massages on the beach. There is a pier where I have read you can get snorkeling tours from the locals.

We did the great excursion with David and Ivan. I cannot say enough good things about them and the excursion.

Here are some of our pictures from our excursion with David and Ivan and our time at the beach at Majahual: http://community.webshots.com/album/527685047YCNWgf

undiscovered...:cool: sleepy town..there are pictures on one of the threads regarding Mjhual/ if you dive supposed to be one of the great wonders of the world..REEF almost to the shore, world class diving thru dreamtime or the maya palms....:D

I passed on Jamaica to do this stop and Belize...

Just curious, but why has RCCL changed from Jamaica to Costa Maya. Did they explain why?

Only curious because I see last week Carnival diverted a ship from Costa Maya to Jamaica because Costa Maya was too full of ships that had been diverted from Cozumel originally.

We are in the same boat...on the same boat. Was not happy that they changed ports on us in a week but will have to make the best of it. Had a great private tour planned in Jamaica already and now its Costa Maya. See you aboard on Sunday.

when you come back. We are scheduled to stop in Costa Maya while aboard Galaxy in early April. Haven't been there before.

Also, this thread is another welcome reminder that port changes can happen both before and during your cruise ... the OP's all-for-naught research reminds me of what happened on our first cruise three years ago ... Western Caribbean itinerary ... changed 100% to an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, none of the same ports, the first day we were at sea! I had spent weeks making plans for the original ports, all online, and knew nothing about the "new" ports. Had a great time anyway. (But my most important lesson was about hurricane season and just WHY the price for that cruise was so good in the first place ... oops ... no more autumn Caribbean cruises ...) -- TR

In Majahual (which is only about 6 blocks total) you can find food to eat, lots of things to buy, and massages on the beach. There is a pier where I have read you can get snorkeling tours from the locals.

I am really getting excited about going to Costa Maya - At first, of course I knew nothing about it, had been looking forward to Coz (we got switched from Coz to here) but thankfully I have had plenty of time to prepare and research what to do here.

My question is: When taking the bus to Majahual, does the bus just have one drop off point? Or are their options? I am thinking since you say that it is only about 6 blocks long, it wouldn't be a big deal...or difficult to navigate. Just planning ahead, don't want to miss anything.....;)

(On more than half of the cruises we have been on there has always been some kind of port change. It does throw a planner for a loop - but I don't let it wreck my vacation in the slightest. I adapt...after all, being in the Caribbean is better than being at home/work/in the snow/cold....)

The bus to Mahahual will make the first stop at one of the beach side bars. You can either get off here or stay on for another half mile and get dropped off at the entrance to the village. The village is only about 6-8 blocks long with bars and restaurants on either side, beach along the right side, and vendor booths and shops on the left side. It is a pedestrian only village. Even the golf carts must park and then you walk. Warning about the majority of the buses: they look like crap on the outside and on the inside. Most of the seats are worn and beaten but you can sit in them long enough to get you to the village, a five minute ride. When you are done in the village just walk back to where the long row of taxi's are and tell them you want to ride back to the pier. A lot of people have a hard time with vendors hawking their wares and trying to encourage us to buy. I try to have fun with the locals. I was recently in Mahahual shopping with my mother when she inquired of one of the shop keepers about a t-shirt. He told her $12.00 ( it was a really nice t-shirt ); she said ok and started to get her money out. He stopped her and said, " Lady, dicker with me, don't let me rip you off." Of course the bantering back and forth began and she ended up paying $6.00. Don't let fear of the unknown stop you from having fun. You are there to experience a cultural difference, so experience it.

Thanks DFritz for the bus info!!!

I love Mexico!! I love experiencing each country that I have been to...I think that this something that everyone should do - travel!! Whether it be out of their home town/state or country...I know exactly what you were talking about!! Love the story about your mother!! :p

Archived