Kids menu?

BENHANDEL

This is probably a dumb question... But... Is there a kids menu in the MDR?

When we sailed DCL, my youngest paid a child price and was forced to only eat from the kids menu. That plus a food allergy and pickiness meant she had chicken nuggets and french fries just about every night, LOL.

I would love for her to be forced to choose something off the real menu, but how does it work for the younger kids? She will be almost 12 when we sail in December. I expect she will be with us for every dinner and not eat with the kids club.

We are staying in a family Harbor Suite, so I know that means she gets free meals in the specialty restaurants. I assume that might be a separate kids menu? TIA.

There is a kid’s menu. I’ve ordered the chicken nuggets as an appetizer before when nothing on the normal menu looks good. They also have a banana split on the kid’s dessert menu I’ve ordered for dessert before. I’m not sure what else is on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is my basic post about allergies..... We travel with a group that combined has allergies to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish, egg whites, chocolate, MSG and liquid dairy. Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

Each ship seems to do things a little differently. This has been our experiences on the West Coast ships.

If you have an odd allergy contact Special Needs before your cruise. If you have a 'normal' allergy no need to do so.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

See the Hostess at embarkation when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR. At ATD, an order slip will be generated and given to your waitstaff when seated. They will confirm the order with you.

Only issue we've ever had was one cruise DD's food arrived before mine.

For room service, they cannot make special for you but they can tell you the ingredients. No special area so there is always the possibility of contamination

Buffet is a minefield. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage crew in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks or those serving desserts. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Onshore--- we bring allergy cards. I made our own but you can buy some at selectwisely dot com.

You can only bring off commercially prepared food. We bring cereal bars, boxes of cereal, bottled water, hard candy etc.

Many ports will check. Some will do a physical search, others use dogs. You do not want the cute Labrador to sit next to you. I've had them alert on my Lemonheads.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

Gluten Free has a few different things. Cruise Critic has lots of info about GF. Use ‘gluten’ or ‘celiac’ in the search engine. Know there’s at least GF pizza, noodles, bread available.

Thanks all! I did click on the kids menu link that was shared above. I'm glad to hear that she can order off either the regular menu or the kids menu. I would actually prefer her not to be presented with the kids menu. Everywhere we go it's chicken nuggets and french fries. I'd like her to expand her palate, LOL.

This is my basic post about allergies..... We travel with a group that combined has allergies to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish, egg whites, chocolate, MSG and liquid dairy. Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

I have seen this information from you before and it was very helpful, thank you. Her allergy is just to Dairy and it is very easy to manage at this point. When she was very young it was a dangerous allergy but now it's just more of a nuisance that we can easily avoid. On this cruise, I am more interested in her having an opportunity to explore different things than being worried about her contaminants.

In the MDR they can order off either menu but in the specialty restaurant to get the kids eat feee option they have to order off the kids menu. Also, I think you only get one kids free specialty restaurant on the family harbor room as well as one night owl too. But of course we went last year so things can change. [emoji4]

Thanks all! I did click on the kids menu link that was shared above. I'm glad to hear that she can order off either the regular menu or the kids menu. I would actually prefer her not to be presented with the kids menu. Everywhere we go it's chicken nuggets and french fries. I'd like her to expand her palate, LOL.

It's been a couple years since we sailed on Carnival with our kids, but I seem to remember asking for a kids menu and the waiter telling me that he could tell me what's on it but for some reason they didn't have paper copies. I suppose that my have annoyed some people, but I thought that was a great idea because it forced my kids to look at the adult menu and I could control the fries, chicken nuggets and pizza intake for the week a little more. That system worked perfectly for us, our kids didn't miss the kids menu at all. There is usually chicken available on the 'always available' menu so that is always a back up, but generally our kids surprised us with their choices. My eldest is looking forward to our next cruise on the Magic for that 'amazing lasagna' he ate and all the shrimp cocktail...

My kids, now 3 & 5, don't even know there's a kids menu. :) They know they can have shrimp and fruit every night, plus something else. They have never gone hungry. The waitstaff also knows the menu well, so if she's not a spicy kind of girl, they can tell you how spicy something is that night. Can't speak to specialty dining, we haven't done that with Carnival yet.

My son was 12 on his first cruise and they never offered a kids menu(I think you might have to ask for one) which worked fine for us, if she doesn't like the appetizers she can ask for a fruit cup, my son got one every night!

and I could control the fries, chicken nuggets and pizza intake for the week a little more. That system worked perfectly for us

My hope EXACTLY! I appreciate the lower prices on kids menus, I do not appreciate the variety or lack of healthiness!

Yikes, add that to my reasons not to sail Disney.

On CCL they always asked us(the parents) if we wanted a kid menu for our little ones, and this was after handing our kids the regular menus. A 12 year old however is not a kid and really shouldn't be handed that menu in any restaurant. My oldest is 9 and hasn't been offered a kid menu on a ship in a few years.

To answer your second question, the specality restaurants don't have kids menus.

Yikes, add that to my reasons not to sail Disney.

On CCL they always asked us(the parents) if we wanted a kid menu for our little ones, and this was after handing our kids the regular menus. A 12 year old however is not a kid and really shouldn't be handed that menu in any restaurant. My oldest is 9 and hasn't been offered a kid menu on a ship in a few years.

To answer your second question, the specality restaurants don't have kids menus.

We have only cruised Disney (once). We figured if we didn't like Disney we didn't like cruising. Lol. My Youngest was 9 at the time. I think once you hit 10 everyone paid the same (high) price.

My kids LOVED ordering off the adult menu when they were smaller. My youngest daughter actually learned a love for brussel sprouts on one of our first cruises. I would hipe them up about trying something new every night, if they hated it, thats ok, they could try something else or have pizza, lido, or room service.