Tortuga and other ramblings...

Johnny Cruiser

Hi all, the girls in our group would like to visit the Tortuga factory as well as maybe a jeep tour while us boys are golfing. Is the Rum Point tour I've read about the way to go or are there alternatives?

Cheers!

I can't help you with the Jeep tour, but there are at least 2 Tortuga Rum Cake factories. One is near the tender dock and the other is next door to the Turtle Farm (the larger of the 2). Both have lots of samples out and many different packages available for purchase. They are all pretty tasty, but I am partial to the Original and the Pineapple.

I can't help you with the Jeep tour, but there are at least 2 Tortuga Rum Cake factories. One is near the tender dock and the other is next door to the Turtle Farm (the larger of the 2). Both have lots of samples out and many different packages available for purchase. They are all pretty tasty, but I am partial to the Original and the Pineapple.

Well, THE Tortuga bakery (the big one) is neither. The big Tortuga bakery (what we'd call the factory) is just as you head into a commercial area over near the airport on the east end of Georgetown. A little farther than you'd want to walk. This one definitely has the best selection.

The satellite location by the Turtle Farm does some baking, and is a fun place to try samples if you don;t want to head to the big shop.

Not aware of any Tortuga bakery near the tenders. There are LOTS of retail outlets for Tortuga products in Georgetown.

BTW, did you know that Rum Cake is the #1 export of the Cayman Islands? We don't exactly manufacture much of anything else for export!

Well, THE Tortuga bakery (the big one) is neither. The big Tortuga bakery (what we'd call the factory) is just as you head into a commercial area over near the airport on the east end of Georgetown. A little farther than you'd want to walk. This one definitely has the best selection.

The satellite location by the Turtle Farm does some baking, and is a fun place to try samples if you don;t want to head to the big shop.

Not aware of any Tortuga bakery near the tenders. There are LOTS of retail outlets for Tortuga products in Georgetown.

BTW, did you know that Rum Cake is the #1 export of the Cayman Islands? We don't exactly manufacture much of anything else for export!

And here I thought your major "industries" were off-shore banking and tourism. Oh, wait a minute, those just entail importing money - not exporting it - LOL.

Next time we are in your beautiful country we'll make a point to deposit some more money and take more of you #1 export with us.

• 1 month later...

When we got off the tender last year we walked to the left and a little ways up the road on the right was a blue house with a pirate statue on the front porch-inside you could sample all the different kinds of rum you wanted and all different kinds of rum cakes.

Is the little blue house with the pirate out front still open???

Little blue house is/was not a location for the Tortuga Rum Company. It was a location for another company, the Cayman Islands Rum Cake Center which manufactures Blackbeards Rum Cakes.

When I was in town yesterday, it distinctly looked like it was not open. Lots of changes took place around here back in Sept 2004, and it can be hard to remember what businesses closed, which ones moved, and those that managed to reopen int eh same facilities. I think this one moved... just not sure where to.

We had the same interest for our visit Johnny Cruiser and the jeep tour seems to be the best way to go. Your only other alternative would be to rent your own jeep and do both (there is a very big thread about Rum Point-Don't Miss It that will give instructions how to do that).

Archived