1/12-1/15 NEW YORK CITY-rain-what to bring?

Lizzybell

Hello-I have finally been able to ck the 10 day forecast for New York City for 1/12-1/15. Fri should be nice, but rain scheduled all weekend :( I have never been back east so very excited !! We only have 3 days & plan on doing as much as we can, lots of walking, subway, buses etc. but the rain...

Since I live in So Ca, I dont really have alot of rain shoes/clothes etc. I did get a pair of not to comfortable rain boots & i have some suede aerosole boots that are great. I have waterproofed them, but does that work?. I have never owned a pair of suede boots, so i am clueless & would much prefer to wear the aerosoles, but dont want to ruin them if its pouring etc??

what to do??? the rainboots are uncomfortable and i know I will not be a happy walker in those suckers.

Also, I had given to me a really wonderful Jones of NY leather jacket-I have had it cleaned, how will it fair in the constant rain? can it be waterproofed successfully? The only other thing i have is a wool coat or a thin liteweight raincoat-should i plan on picking something warm and just bringing the raincoat??

Thanks so much for your feedback, sorry @ beinging so clueless in the OC :) Liz

Liz, you might get better info from the Fodor's USA board -- there's lots of NYers who post there on everything NYC topic imaginable. I live in CT outside New Haven & we take the train into NYC several times a year. If rain without snow were forcast for one of our trips, I would simply wear my standard walking shoes -- laced, cobby cuddlers (I'm a golden ager & stability, comfort are more important than style for me) -- and, of course, avoid puddles at curbs. Go with the pair that will not give you blisters & will allow you to walk as much as you wish.

As far as a coat goes, remember that it will be most likely in the mid-30s to mid-40s in Jan & the skyscraper tunnel effect means wind -- go for warmth with some moisture shedding ability. It's possible that your rain jacket with layers under it will work & you can shed a layer or so in the over-heated museum. You might also need to think layers under the leather if you find that leather would shed the rain ok. I would wear my standard winter "work" jacket (as opposed to my ski jacket). Coming from CA as you are, that's not really an option for you.

There's always the solution a coworker used during Christmas week when she & her family spent a day in the city. Forgetting the wind tunnel effect on temps, her daughter wore a lighter weight jacket -- they made a quick detour into Macy's, picked up an on-sale sweater & problem solved, continued with a great day.

Enjoy the city -- I'd love to get down for the Fra Angelico show but doubt that's going to be possible.

MHS

Archived