Spa Makeup - Formal Night?

MHS4

Is it possible to have a custom make-up session in the Spa for one of the formal evenings? I normally wear only a lightly tinted sunscreen, but thought it might be fun & a treat to have a professional make-up with eye-shadow, blush, etc. (but keeping it at a discrete tasteful level, of course). Years ago I had this done at Saks 5th Ave & it was a fun thing, part of a special museum, dinner, theater day.

This would be on the Coral Princess should that make a difference in spa offerings.

Thanks

MHS

I did a quick search on the Princess web site and could not find makeup application in their spa/beauty services menu.

If I were you, I'd go back to a major department store and have a makeup lesson there. See if you can make an appointment with one of the lines there. For about the same $ spent at the salon onboard, you could buy some makeup and apply it yourself. My experience with professional makeup application is that they are too heavy handed, especially with the foundation.

I love makeup and have a ton of it, but I apply it with a light hand. It's not difficult to put on yourself, especially if you are guided by someone who knows what to do. Many of the cosmetic lines at major department stores have specially trained staff, not just clerks at a counter.

Have fun with it, you might just discover you will enjoy a bit of color every day!

I totally agree. Go to any department store and call at one or more cosmetic counters and ask them for their opinion - tell them what you need and they will be able to guide you - each cosmetic line carries similar products - I have been using Estee Lauder for years now but funny enough I am also using Biotherm's lotion and Olay's cleanser. So you might find yourself using a different line for some stuff - this is quite normal. This is the skin care part, then there is the actual make-up part, and this list is endless!

Purchase only the basics - a cleanser, lotion, light foundation, powder (loose) (and a touch-up compact). Then choose your colours to match your outfit and your complexion - eyes (liner, mascara, shadow - sometimes you may need several colours for shading and blending), blush, lipstick. Keep your make-up simple as you still want to look like you.

Know the lighting of the surroundings, especially if you will be taking pictures - KEEP THE FOUNDATION MINIMAL! Makeup however properly applied can look awful in pictures depending on the lighting. Do experiment at home and practice makes perfect - and you will save plenty of time on the cruise when doing your makeup. Purchase also a makeup bag to store all your stuff in one place.

This is how I do my makeup for formal night:

Wash face and neck area thoroughly

Follow with cleanser using a cleansing pad

Pat dry with tissue

(I do not use a moisturizer because the ship is warm anyway, but again if you find that your foundation "cakes" you might need a moisturizer for hydration before you apply the foundation)

Apply foundation - very miminally all over face to jawline with a wet (but not soggy) make-up sponge or foundation brush - you might also want to apply coverup to spots to even your skin tone. The sales person can introduce you to a coverup suited to you.

Dust on loose powder and then use a tissue to lightly brush out all the excess

At this point in time, your face will look colourless - this is how you are supposed to look at this stage!

Then you apply the colours - beginning with eyes, then blush to cheek, then lipstick - the eyes are the most important and should take longer than cheek and lips, so plan to spend more time and work on the eyes!

If you are using eyeliner, use thin lines!

Experiment, experiment with different colours!

Basic colours for eye shadow would be a midnight blue, or dark green, perhaps a deep purple, and shading colours to match. The easiest and most simple way would be to apply the shading (hence lighter) colours to the eyes concentrating from the eyes to the brow line, and then apply the actual colour (your green, blue, or purple colour) from the eye to the crease line and then using a blending brush, blend the two colours at the crease line. Also apply some (only some, only a little) shadow to the lower part of the eye for balance and only on the outer side not the entire lower part of the eye. Then apply eyeliner and lastly mascara to your lashes- up and down. And depending on the thickness of your brow, you might need a pencil liner to enhance the thickness and shape of your brow. If your brow is thick to begin with, you might need to consider shaping - you can do this at any spa and it costs very little - I would say $30.00 would be about right.

Then apply the blush and lipstick.

Then take pictures and compare!

Have fun!

Fernanda Ho

Vancouver, BC

Canada

(1) Sorry, I see I've made an error: After washing your face with the cleanser, you will use the lotion or toner as it is more often called, and NOT the cleanser, with the cleansing cotton pads to clean your face.

(2) To clarify: when I say light foundation, I do not mean light as in colour, but light as in texture (that is, not thick and pasty, but more watery which allows for easier and smoother application as opposed to a cakey look - as if you have a mask on) Foundation when applied correctly should resemble your natural skin or something really close. The salesperson can recommend the proper colour.

I hope this helps. Have fun, experiment several times. Since you are probably starting from scratch, the total products you buy will probably cost you a little more than the one time spa make-up on formal night, but will definitely last you a long time.

sincerely

Fernanda Ho

Vancouver, B. C. Canada

I wouldn't bet money on it, but I seem to recollect that the salons on the ships have makeup applications listed as part of their services.

I see it differently that all of you. I think it would be fun to have the professional makeover as part of the formal evening. I HATE putting on makeup, but i do so every day, even if I don't leave the house. It would be a treat to have someone else do it. I just would be mindful about the inevitable sales pitch at the end of the session.

Just my 2 cents...

Judy

I agree with the concept of having it done before you cruise and then recreating the look by yourself on your criuise.

However, instead of suggesting to a dept store, I'd recommend going to Sephora instead for two reasons.

1. A dept store salesperson only sells hus/her brand so you'll hear lots about they there's does everything better than anyone elses.

2. At Sephora they use all the brands and will be honest about who has the best products for your skin and coloring. After you're done, there's no heavy sales pressure to buy.

A spa application can be nice, but they generally don't teach you anything.

I've been on 2 Princess cruises, and I do actually recall both of them offering makeup application in the spa for a fee. I think it was rather high, and I chose not to participate...but I am cosmetically challenged, as I put it, and cannot do my hair or my makeup to save my life. Thankfully, as pathetic as it sounds, my mother will be along and she can always help me with my hair and eyeliner if needed. (Yes, I can take care of myself on my own, but I work in a hospital and wear only basic makeup and practical hairstyles (i.e., ponytail or barrette)....I like to look extra-special for nice occasions.)

Hey Jimbug!

Be kind to yourself and do yourself a favour! Take it one step at a time and learn the basics to doing makeup (as I have described earlier - ie. going the whole 9-yards for the formal night) and hair for yourself. I am positive that you work very hard at your job so you definitely deserve to be rewarded and look good and have fun!

Even if you only begin with the basics: eyeshadow, perhaps eyeliner, blush and lipstick to see what colours work best for you and your formal outfits. Don't be shy, experiment - you might surprise yourself! You're worth it! :)

As to hair, have you tried putting it in a bun and used one of those long "pointy" clips to hold it together? Make a ponytail and then twist it into a bun and stick the pointy clip diagonally to hold it in place? Great for an updo which takes under a minute and is FREE as opposed to going to the hairsalon and paying big bucks for a look which is going last only one evening!

And to Judy: I too agree with you that sometimes we deserve to be pampered! During ordinary times, most of us work very hard for a living and so our vacation time is our special time to do special things for us even if it means spending some extra bucks.

The only time I can recall I had make-up professionally done was at my wedding. It felt great not having to do make-up myself (I just sat there and the lady did the rest!) The make-up was beautiful - the photos are proof of that! ;)

regards,

Fernanda Ho

Vancouver, B. C. Canada

Archived