Los Angeles Port?

chrob

Does anyone know if there is only the one port in Los Angeles?

How far is it and how much would it cost in a taxi from the airport?

We will be sailing on the Summit in November through the Panama Canal but are considering a 3 night stay in Vegas beforehand. Any advice on the best way to connect would be appreciated.

I would rent a car from Vegas to LA (=/- 3 1/2 Hour drive). Then take a cab from the car rental place to the ship, or as I did in Seattle, Hertz dropped us off in the shuttle right at the pier.

Dave:eek:

A 3 and a half hour drive from Las Vegas to San Pedro? I guess it could be done if there was absolutely no other traffic and no cops on the freeways and you did 90-100 miles per hour all the way. We live in Mission Viejo, CA, about an hour south of San Pedro and it takes us usually 4 hours to get home from Las Vegas, on a good day!

More realistically, plan at least 5 hours for the drive, more if it is on a Sunday, or a holiday. I'm not saying don't do the drive, but if you do, leave Las Vegas very early in the am. There can be construction traffic, heavy traffic at times through Riverside, Orange and LA counties. We had a friend who commuted between OC and Las Vegas bi-weekly and he had drive times of 8 hours sometimes on Sundays.

The San Pedro port is where you will be boarding your ship. It is approx. 20 miles south of LAX, approx. 12 miles from Long Beach airport (LGB). To fly would take less than an hour, the cost somewhere between $50 - $100 per person. Add around $30 for the cost of a cab from LGB, you'll maybe spend a bit more to fly, but be there with less fatigue a couple of hours sooner.

I'd figure in the rental, gas and incidentals before making a final plan. You might not save as much as you think by renting a car.

Whatever your choice, have a great cruise!

Archived