Should I be concerned?

Scooterboyd

We are going on the Grand Princess next week and I've been reading the posts about the tenders in Cozumel. My concern is we have booked a shore excursion not through Princess that starts @ 11:15 when the ship is suppose to let people off @ 10:00, should we be concerned we won't make it since Princess lets off people who booked shore excursions with them first and It could take some time until we are allowed off the boat? Can you tell Princess you have booked a shore excursion with someone else, show them the documentation, and them let you off the boat early to make your excursion? I'd like to hear from people who have had these experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Concerned Cruiser

Just get in line at about an hour early to get tender tickets and you should be fine. The whole process won't run on a tight schedule, because there are so many variables...late arrival, early arrival, swells. If you are a little late for your excursion, chances are a lot of other people will be, too, and the tour company will probably wait for you.

I would be concerned, yes. If the ship anchors at 10:00, it still must be cleared before it will begin to offload passengers. Those holding Princess tours will go first – you should consider that will take 30 to 45 minutes. If you’re in the first group of general tender tickets, you should probably allow at least 20 minutes to get off the ship and to the tender dock – that is assuming that you are able to get to the dock immediately. I think you’re cutting it close. Now if the ship anchors earlier than that and they estimate the first passengers will be cleared at 10:00, you might make it.

Since you’ve made these arrangements ahead of time, could you contact the tour company and reschedule or ask them to wait for you? You might be able to arrange with the Shore Desk to get off the ship with some priority, but I wouldn’t count on that, so I'd try to contact the tour company - that way you won't be disappointed when you get there.

I wouldn't get too concerned. Like TexasMom said, make sure you get tender tickets as soon as you can. Remember, you aren't in the US anymore and things tend to work on "island time". Relax, schedules are just guidelines...Just don't dawdle and think you can go downstairs at 11 AM to get on the next tender. We've booked private tours many times and never have had a problem with tour operators waiting for those who might be running a few minutes late.

Hi Scooterboyd,

We're sailing on the Grand next week as well. After reading about the Grand's adventures I've warned my traveling companions ( my mother especially) that we will all have to be flexible.

Hope to see you there!

On our April Dawn Princess cruise we missed this port because we couldn't anchor, the currents were too strong. The Captain tried for several hours before giving up. We hear it is nice and hope to see it someday. Still, we enjoyed our extra day at sea.

Archived