Grand Turk

cruisin56

Hey Jenn

Not to be a downer here, and I understand you seem to know what you are doing, but that type of thinking leads to Melanoma and early death. If you think by sitting in the shade you won't get sunburn or have the sun effect your skin, you are wrong. Take it from some one who has had 2 cases of melanoma, both caught early. I had grown up in the sun, and am paying for it now. It can, and will effect you, if not now, then later in life.

I know it may be a bother, but PLEASE, use that sunscreen anytime you are out, even in the shade or on non sunny days. Not criticizing, just trying to warn you of something I've already been thru.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len,

I totally understand why you responded the way you did to my comment and I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences with melanoma, but happy to hear that it was caught early. I used to know a beautiful 41-yo woman that was diagnosed as terminal. Very sad. I'm very familiar with the risks especially with reflected UV and so on, always very careful, always use a good spf on cruises and so on....and am actually quite pale compared to a lot of cruisers and beach goers. I truly appreciate your cautions very much and for anyone that reads your post. I was only wanting to mention the shade trees on the GT port beach as a way to stay a little cooler on blistering hot days.

Cheers and happy cruising :)

Hi Len,

I totally understand why you responded the way you did to my comment and I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences with melanoma, but happy to hear that it was caught early. I used to know a beautiful 41-yo woman that was diagnosed as terminal. Very sad. I'm very familiar with the risks especially with reflected UV and so on, always very careful, always use a good spf on cruises and so on....and am actually quite pale compared to a lot of cruisers and beach goers. I truly appreciate your cautions very much and for anyone that reads your post. I was only wanting to mention the shade trees on the GT port beach as a way to stay a little cooler on blistering hot days.

Cheers and happy cruising :)

Great Jen. Wasn't trying to make it look like a shout out. Glad you took it exactly the way I was trying to word it. A+++++

Cheers

Len

Thank all for the links.

Darn, we have another ship in port that day :(

I did notice one thing, the link from the visitTCI for the ATV was a lot higher than the excursion from HAL. How much are the golf carts and can you get around most of the island with them?

Thank all for the links.

Darn, we have another ship in port that day :(

I did notice one thing, the link from the visitTCI for the ATV was a lot higher than the excursion from HAL. How much are the golf carts and can you get around most of the island with them?

It was quite a few years ago when we did the golf carts. I remember walking up the hill right outside of port and that is where we picked them up. Yes, you can drive anywhere around the island. Different beaches, the lighthouse, places to eat along the way. It was alot of fun and great way to see the island.

• 2 weeks later...
Tram sounds cool. I missed that in all my excursion shopping.

I think you can rent several types of personal transportation -- golfcarts as mentioned, also bicycles, jeeps (I think?) ... It's a small island, so no big worries about getting lost.

Grand Turk can definitely be a fun/relaxing/do-nothing beach port, so if you can't find an excursion to your liking, I'm betting you'll enjoy the stop anyway.

The cruise port:

grandTurk_subpage-header2.jpg

Some good maps (including downloadable PDFs) -- in the bottom map, note the snorkeling spots off the southern tip, very close to the Cruise "Center":

https://www.visittci.com/grand-turk/maps

What pool is that and how much per person?

Margaritaville pool. Free to cruisers. They do however sell food and drink. There are also other ship excursion things and activities, (cabanas, flowrider) there for a fee. The beach right off the ship also has free chairs, umbrellas, and clamshells.

• 4 weeks later...

Grand Turk diving does excellent snorkel charters. Our group is big so its cost effective to book private tours. The guides were super knowledgable and accommodating. Even for hesitant snorkelers the wall is a must see. Looked like something out if finding Nemo[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, LostPuppy said:

Bring a CCL towel, some red solo cups, cigars, and ice from the ship. Buy a bottle of rum and a six pack of coke at the shops when you get off the ship. Go to the RIGHT as you off the pier and walk to the point. Set up the towels, mix some rum & cokes, smoke a cigar and enjoy laying on a relatively unspoiled Caribbean beach. This, in my opinion, is a lot more enjoyable than hangin' in the "approved" Carnival area, (too crowded, water not too pristine).

When you're done with that. Walk down to Jack's Shack and see "Topher, the wonder dog". Drink a couple of Turk's Head beers, have some jerk chicken....

I was looking up to see what's available to do on GT when I get there. I like your Idea !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...