Fred Olsen 23 day river cruise

Shoe King

We did look at the FO river cruises when they were first offered, but the pricing and inclusions seemed at odds with the other established cruise lines.

They seemed to be mirroring their ocean cruise approach on the river and by the time we had added back the cost of the things they were not including they ended up too expensive for what they offered.

I was looking at it with the view of doing a longer cruise on the river system. Are there any others out there that would maybe of better value etc?

I’m doing the legendary Danube with Avalon on the 20th of November for 10 nights this year.

I was looking at it with the view of doing a longer cruise on the river system. Are there any others out there that would maybe of better value etc?

You will not find many cruises of that length in Europe, they tend to be shorter to match the demand from the US market.

You can sometimes find back-to-back opportunities though where you can book 2 cruises together.

As for better value it really depends what you are looking for...

... if you want an unbundled cruise where the excursions in port are not included, then I'd look at CroisiEurope for example.

The ships that Fred Olsen are using are also quite old by river cruise standards, doesn't make them 'bad' but keep your expectations set accordingly.

When comparing to other lines do consider the port trips, drinks in general (some include wine/beer with dinner, some do not and some are open bar at all times).