Help! To all who got married in wedding cruise esp. if in NY port?

Hello to everyone! Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences with me on getting married on a ship - is it easier costwise and planning wise? I recently got engaged and no date has been set. But I already know that I might want to get married on a ship since I can also incorporate my honeymoon too. And I'm totally not into planning weddings! I'm a mess so I'm thinking wedding cruise might be easier. But I don't want to contact a wedding cruise planner yet since I don't have any dates set yet and I'm a bit scared to contact them so I figured I'd come to you guys first! I live in NJ and I'm thinking of having it done on a NY port and then sailing off maybe to Bermuda or Bahamas. I've only gone on Carnival Cruises (Cruise to Nowhere) and I really enjoyed it. These are some of the facts and my questions:

1) What is the recommended ship?

2) Is there really a wedding planner who will arrange everything/almost everything?

3) How many non-sailing guests are allowed? Is there only a minimum of 50 people or can there be more? (I'm thinking maybe 100 guests in my wedding if possible)

4) How does a wedding cruise work? Is food for the guests already included in the packages? How does the food thing work?

5) How long is the allotted time for the whole wedding ceremony? (The wedding ceremony, eating time, and is there dance floor/entertainment dancing included?)

6) How much will the costs be for the whole thing, the wedding package and the honeymoon cruise?

7) Do all the guests have to show identification, what would they have to bring?

8) Do I already need to have a civil marriage/marriage by judge/wedding license first?

9) What would be a good month to do a wedding cruise?

10) To anyone who got married on NY port, how is it in New York, traffic wise, etc.? Should it be in NJ port instead?

11) How early do guests/everyone have to be at the ship to attend wedding?

12) Any other information I need to know?

Thanks!!

Sounds like you should visit the cruiseline(s) websites and investigate what each one offers.

For Royal Caribbean there is a pdf document you can download and read that has alot of the information you are looking for.

For Carnival I think you email them and they get back to you.

For me, the process of planning my wedding was painful and difficult because I found Royal romance/The Wedding Experience to be completely unprofessional and lacking in customer service.

My wedding, however, ended up being a day to remember.

Good luck!

I had to make the same decision. I decided the time of year and then I looked for which ships went out of NYC and Bayonne on Saturdays and Sundays.

In May of 2005 it was the Carnival Legend, the Norwedgian Dawn and RCCL's Voyager of the Seas.

I went to web sites and called and had info emailed to me. Ultimately, I choose the Carnival Legend because 1. the cute Chapel, 2. the cost of the cruise (better than RCCL). 3. the Itinerary (better than NCL in 2005), 4. the cost and type of wedding reception--RCCL with al la carte pricing was too pricy. NCL had an cost effective lunch package at the time -- its since gone up in price. Carnival's DeLuxe Romance package had unlimited open bar and appetizers, cake, champage toast and ice sculpture and ceremony all included. Piano Player for 90 minutes was $90.000 compared to $500 on RCCL.

Our wedding and reception were great.

We rented a bus to take our selves and our guests to the Pier from PA. Non-saling guests took the bus back to PA after the wedding.

I am pretty early on in my planning process, but I am leaving from NYC on July 6. We are with Carnival. The planner are very busy, but overall probably competent. I am 6 months away, so there has been little contact, however, I am certain all will work out.

1 I researched ships and wedding package prices

2. I decided to keep the cost low for guest, by leaving from a port close to me (no flying necessary....I live in PA)

3. I called my travel agent and told her what I wanted

4. My TA got prices from Carnival's group dept

5. I sent Save the Dates (refrigerator magnet with a wedding cruise flyer/ announcement/ cruise info/ cost and monthly payment plan)

6. I started receiving deposits in the mail and forward them to my agent

7. Both my agent and I are keeping a payment record on a spreadsheet

8. Once I knew how many planned to come, I booked the wedding with Carnival (we have 55 sailing guest)

9. I paid a dwnpy on the transportation (chartered bus and 3 limos)

10 Carnival emailed me my paperwork and contract

11. A wedding for you coordinators contacted me, just to answer some questions..

12. I am now in the process of paying for wedding extras like the dj, videography and planning gift baga and stuff

It's not as easy as I thought it would be, but probably easier than a traditional wedding (and less than 50% of the cost).

Best wishes!

• 2 weeks later...

I am from Long Island and I am getting married out of Cape Liberty, NJ Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas on Aug. 6th, the cruise is 5 days and to Bermuda(we choose this cruise because it was shorter and less expensive so more guests would sail) As of right now we have 54 sailing guests booked!!! I have also sailed out of NYC on carnival miracle in aug 2004 to the bahamas, it was awesome. I think any way you pick well be great. good luck

Thanks to all who answered!! I'm still in the research process. I haven't called any of the ships yet, but I have read the brochures (for Carnival Cruise and for Norwegian.) Norwegian Wedding Cruise Brochure seems to be more detailed. Since I'm working during the day, my Mom is going to call Norwegian for me. However, I noticed that Norwegian Cruise has a 2 hour lunch reception where as Carnival only has an hour and a half? Also, how long are the Carnival wedding ceremonies if getting married on the ship (before it sails) Is that enough time to have dancing/dj or does that only apply to people who get married on the seas?

I noticed for Norwegian it said 15-20 minutes for the wedding ceremonies.. I still want to do Carnival because it seems cheaper though. Also last question - up to what month does the ships sail from NY (up to November?) and start sailing again the next year? (February to ?)

And if anyone who reads this also got married at the Norwegian, I'd love to hear your input.

Thanks!

You may want to look at the cruises and where they go and how long as well as at the specific ships. Sailing out of New York weatherwise is probably best April through November. But, from June thru October you may run into huricane season.

Go to msn.com travel and search cruises out of New York for specific months. Read the reviews of the ships and look at pictures.

The Luncheon on the NCL can be done in a private restuarant whereas it is in the main dining room on Carnival and not necesarily private. NCL may have a music option for lunch. However, you may have to choose between lunch and dancing.

Even though I had a cocktail reception with music--there was no dancing. It is really a short reception 1 to 2 hours. People don't necesarily warm up to dancing at a short reception in the early afternoon. You can always dance later.

Archived