Punta Sur and driving Around the Island?

CUFETZ

We will be in Cozumel 2/23 and I am wondering about driving around the island post-Wilma. Having done this before we rented a car and drove the road that circles the island stopping along at various beaches and touring Punta Sur. I have heard that Punta Sur is not operational-was there damage to the lighthouse area? Also, Is the road open around the island now or do alternate routes need to be taken to reach the east side from the west?

Thanks bruce-r for the quick response-so no way to reach the lighthouse except the jeep tour? Also wondering about hiring a cab for the day-have seen recent threads quoting anywhere from $60-$150 for the day. I talking a reguar car for 4 people.

We were at Punta Sur on 1/13/2006. It is closed. You can pull off the road for (telephoto) pix of the lighthouse, but the road is washed out and they is a guard at the entry gate turning tourists away. Construction equipment is parked near the gate, so it is pbvious they are starting to work on it. The road around the island is completed and passable. Amazing what they have done in just a few months...

LL

Archived