pickpocket at Pez Quadro

Mare&Glenn

We just got back form a cruise on Jewel of the sea.

We were at Pes Quadro all day on the beach. Both my wife and I enjoyed it but Our daughter (21) and friend (22)did not.

I kept my wallet under table in a zippered up (at all times) in a beach bag. Never unattended When we left from table we went up to bar and took pictures. The bag (still zippered) was placed down on the sand next to us.

We spent about 8 min there picked up the bag and left when we were getting out off cab we looked for wallet and it was missing!! Went back to Pez Quadro Female bartender showed great concern all to no avail!!

We have cruised 15 times and this was the first time something like this has happened. You just feel so stupid.

When we were sitting on beach Kayakers ( about 15)from ship stopped by the beach and stayed at the Bar for about 1/2 hour or 45 min. They were left unattended and some young mexican boys were swiming aroung Kayaks and loooking insde of them. One of the young boys seen us watching them and they swam away. Keep your stuff with you at all times they are really poor and will take advantage as soon as your guard is down. Lost about $150 and credit cards which we cancelled immediatly back at the ship.

We just got back form a cruise on Jewel of the sea.

We were at Pes Quadro all day on the beach. Both my wife and I enjoyed it but Our daughter (21) and friend (22)did not.

I kept my wallet under table in a zippered up (at all times) in a beach bag. Never unattended When we left from table we went up to bar and took pictures. The bag (still zippered) was placed down on the sand next to us.

We spent about 8 min there picked up the bag and left when we were getting out off cab we looked for wallet and it was missing!! Went back to Pez Quadro Female bartender showed great concern all to no avail!!

We have cruised 15 times and this was the first time something like this has happened. You just feel so stupid.

When we were sitting on beach Kayakers ( about 15)from ship stopped by the beach and stayed at the Bar for about 1/2 hour or 45 min. They were left unattended and some young mexican boys were swiming aroung Kayaks and loooking insde of them. One of the young boys seen us watching them and they swam away. Keep your stuff with you at all times they are really poor and will take advantage as soon as your guard is down. Lost about $150 and credit cards which we cancelled immediatly back at the ship.

This stinks...I am so sorry!

When we were in Rome this September...my aunt had $1500 stolen from her waist purse(it was strapped around her waist the whole day)...I felt so sick...we were in a big group too...like nobody saw it happen!

Had a friend loose $500 and her wedding ring out of her beach bag at a beach in Costa Rica...You just feel so vulnerable...

We all need to remember that we are in very poor parts of the world and some people are hungry and desperate...or some might just be plain selfish...but it is easier to stomach this sort of thing if you believe starving children will reap the benefit...Where are the parents??? Makes me mad...I have sympathy anger...I am so sorry!

Everyone be careful...be smart!

Sorry to hear about you having your wallet stolen. I'd have flipped. I know it can(and does) happen everywhere, but you never think it's going to happen to you.

I personally don't trust anybody, but I have done exactly what you did on the beach. I have started carrying a waterproof thingy for my money & ID on cruises though...for two reasons. One, the hassle of losing credit cards and two, I don't want to end up in a Mexican jail.

Hope it never happens to you again.

Where is Pez Quadro, I don;t mean to be dumb, but there are several beach breaks, I don;t know which one is which. I am booked on

Beach Break by Island Marketing. then there is the jungle beach break, and a few more.

Pez Quadro is a beach bar/restaurant in Mahahual...a local mexican fishing village/peddlers/ and beach...a $3 ticket from the port...

here is a link to a huge thread discussing it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=50841

My review of Mahahual and Pez Quadro is on page 3 or 4 of that thread!

the ship looked up all credit card numbers and called all credit card companies and I spoke with them all at no cost to me. The only problem that came up is all our on ship purchases were on them credit cards!!! The staff put through the charges before I cancelled. This led to a little confusion but was resolved quickly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived