Stupid TA advice

jeepgirl30

I don't think anyone meant to trash the TA...it's just surprising that a TA would discourage a passport...You'd think they would encourage a passport and then encourage a trip to Europe (booked through them, of course!! icon_biggrin.gif)

It's weird...in other countries, like any in Europe, having a passport is something that most people just take for granted...it seems only we Americans are hesitant to get them.....guess we just don't leave 'home' as much as other folks do.

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

A couple of years ago, a woman posted her story about the death of her husband (while cruising) and what a total nightmare it was trying to get his body brought back to the US because she didn't have a passport for him. For whatever reason, this country (I think it was Belize) would not let her make arrangements to take him home. She spent quite a bit of time working with the US Embassy and finally got it worked out.

The thing with Belize is, they require a passport if you are not arriving on a cruise ship. I don't know how many other countries have one set of guidelines for cruiseship passengers, and another for people who fly into their country. It seems once the ship left them behind, she was hosed without the passport. They didn't give a hoot about the birth certificate. It cost her way more than it would have cost her had she just purchased the passports. I can't imagine how agonizing this must have been on her.

I read her sad story, and went out and got our family their passports the following week.

As it turned out, we needed them anyway. Our middle son is interning in Paris this summer and we hope to visit him. If we decide to go at the last minute, this won't be a problem.

kntreelight_e0.gif

[This message was edited by twinkletoes4445 on 04-02-04 at 05:16 PM.]

I think it should be a matter of personal opinion. If you're uncomfortable traveling without a passport, you have that right. This issue is always a hot topic.

Why should someone drop a TA for telling them the truth? Isn't that her job?

Laura

Carnival Fantasy - 04/90 - Honeymoon! * Imagination * Victory * Destiny * Triumph * Golden Princess 04/02 * RCCL Brilliance 04/03 * Carnival Legend 04/13/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eerbeek:

Mom always told me: ALWAYS be sure to have a current passport... you never know when a handsome man will invite you to join him for lunch in Paris!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL Linda. Your mom is a very wise woman icon_wink.gif .

Passport at the ready... waiting for Jean Claude to whisk me away.

"Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking."

-Marcus Aurelius Antonius

1. June 2001 Celebrity ZENITH (Bermuda)

2. July 2002 Celebrity MILLENNIUM (Southern Caribbean)

3. January 2003 Carnival CONQUEST (Western Caribbean)

4. August 2003 Celebrity GALAXY (Western Caribbean)

5. January 2005 Carnival DESTINY (Southern Caribbean)

6. May 2005 Celebrity INFINITY (Hawaii)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;2;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'til my DESTINY

Grew up in the travel business as my parents owned a travel agency. My mom always said you could never be too prepared when traveling, and always recommended passports when cruising.

dizduck.gif

Time left until our wedding cruise!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We just jumped off of the NCL Dawn. I did see a difference in how fast we were processed through port locations since we had the passports. Much Faster. I think if you look like a prepared traveler, then they don't give you a second glance, or search...lol. If you want to give off the image that your stuff is in order and no one needs to search you, then get the passports and have them in your hand ready.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2005;2;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn: 3/21/04

Loose the TA QUICKLY. As for having a passport - go quickly.... we got ours a couple of years ago for our first cruise - just because I felt safer - I knew with 9/11 and customs it would make getting back into the US a breeze. BUT, more importantly, having a passport ready to go gave me the surprise of a lifetime. DH works from home and loves to cruise, imagine my surprise coming home from work one afternoon to discover he had found a maiden voyage Royal Carribean cruise and BOOKED it that afternoon as a surprise. We would not have had time to get passports which we would have needed to go to Amsterdam. BUT having the passports in the ready simply meant - PACK OUR BAGS! We're cruising.

Faye, Ken and Brianna

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till the Legend Begins

Carnival Victory - 2/2003

Serenade of the Seas - 8/2003

Carnival Victory - 1/2004

Carnival Legend - 10/2004

Basically, you don't NEED it, but it sure as heck is $100 well spent!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif especially since they are good for 10 years (correct?)

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

Archived