Alternative Dining

ShawninFL

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm going on a family reunion cruise in September on the Carnival Fascination. I haven't been on Carnival since '97 and have a question about alternative dining as many in the group are not the dress up, formal dining every night kind. Do Carnival ships have a dinner buffet in the alternative dining room on the Lido deck? I've been reading literature trying to find out, but I just keep reading about 24 hour pizza. The group went on Royal Caribbean two years ago and really enjoyed their alternative dining area, as you didn't have to dress up, but could order most items on the formal dining room's menu. Any info you can provide will be greatly helpful.

Thanks,

Shawn

12/95 Big Red Boat

5/97 Carnival Inspiration

9/97 Carnival Imagination

11/01 Grandeur of the Seas

2/02 Celebrity Century

10/02 Majesty of the Seas

1/03 Nordic Empress

5/03 Enchantment of the Seas

11/03 Celebrity Century

There are only two formal nights on a seven-day cruise. The other evenings in the dining room are for the most part resort casual.

The lido buffet food is tolerable, but I certainly wouldn't consume it for the majority of meals.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

TBA

My husband and I were on the Sensation last Sept. We decided to skip the formal night, because we didn't want to drag good clothes with us. Well let me tell you, that was one of the biggest mistakes of our life. The food at the buffet on the Lido deck was terrible. It looked like it was all leftover from lunch. In 3 weeks we are cruising on the Glory, and needless to say we will be bring an extra suitcase with dressy clothes. icon_wink.gif

11/84 Tropicale

11/86 Jubilee

11/88 Celebration

09/03 Sensation

4/24/04 Carnival Glory

I may get flamed to high heaven for my opinion but here goes. First of all you will not be banned from the dining room on formal night if you are not formally dressed. As long as you are within the "dress code" of proper attire i.e. no shorts etc. Sure there is a formal night if you chose to get all dolled up. It is fun. I least I think it is. My husband however differs with my opinion but he dresses up because he wants peace on his vacation and not my nagging him. I explain to him that until he has to wear a bra, girdle, panty hose or stockings, high heals, give birth, diet for weeks to fit into a dress, etc, a tux or suit is nothing to complain about. Having said all that, it is not going to make my cruise less enjoyable if you come to dinner in what is known today as resort casual. You should do what is comfortable for you and what makes you happy. It is your vacation too.

Arlene

Arlene I agree with you. Last Sept. when we chose not to go to formal night we saw our waiterlater that evening. He asked us why we missed dinner. We explained about not wanting to get dressed up. He said the way we were dressed was fine. My husband had dockers, and a nice golf shirt. I had capris and a sweater set, what we consider business casual dress. icon_wink.gif

11/84 Tropicale

11/86 Jubilee

11/88 Celebration

09/03 Sensation

4/24/04 Carnival Glory

Originally posted by ShawninFL:

Do Carnival ships have a dinner buffet in the alternative dining room on the Lido deck?

Yes, there is a full buffet on the Lido Deck for all three meals.

...but could order most items on the formal dining room's menu.

No. The Lido buffet couldn't possibly offer the same items as the dining room, i.e., prime rib, Chateaubriand, Beef Wellington, cooked to order, etc., nor do they serve lobster on the buffet. Also, you would miss the wonderful appetizers and specialty desserts.

Shawn, I hope you will encourage your group to go to the formal night dinner. As suggested above, nobody has to be "dressed to the nines", (but I don't think capris and sweaters, dockers, are appropriate). I have seen ladies in 'church dresses', and I think that's just fine, but the guys really should wear at least a suit and tie. icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

We are just back from the Conquest and here is my 2 cents worth.

Do not miss the dining room because of attire.

Here is what I observed.

The Lido deck food is OK but it does not compare with the dining room meals.

There are 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise. If you want to dress to the nines or although church dresses and men in jackets and ties are the norm, however I saw men in slacks with a nice collard shirt too.

As for the other casual nights they are just that...casual. You can wear just about anything you want to as long as it is not shorts, t shirts, or swimwear. It is clear that this is how the majority on board view resort casual.

I would not have even noticed what people had on because I really don't care, but I specifically looked because this can become such a heated topic here. ...I saw on casual nights….. jeans, capris, slacks on ladies and men, casual tops for ladies and polo type or Hawaiian type on men, sundresses. People wore exactly what people wear in casual dining place at home. This is not a formal dining room nor does Carnival refer to it as a formal dining room. It is called the main dining room.

Even the Point restaurant has changed their dress code policy. Jacket and tie are not required any longer. When we ate there, probably half the men had on jackets, the other half had on dress slacks and dress shirt no tie. Most ladies were in a skirt or dressier dress, or slacks and blouse.

People are on vacation, and although some really enjoy dressing up, Carnival is giving an option. It was clear to me that most want to dress more casual on vacation. For the rest of you that this bothers you have a choice….dress as you like… to the nines every night if you want, but allow the other adults to dress as they see fit and in accordance with the rules. Don't give that c--p about how it ruins your dining room experience because of what someone else has on. Get over yourselves! Resort casual is an interpretation and you will find 20 different definitions and I’m sure one of them will suit you.

Patti

dolphins_jump_md_wht.gif

aadog.gif

Conquest...Waiting for the time of my life!

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=3>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

Thank you all for replying. I feel more comfortable now knowing that there is definately an alternative to the main dining room although it sounds like it will be a very different dining experience than what we had on Royal Caribbean. Anyway, I look forward to our great family vacation in September.

Thanks again.

Shawn

12/95 Big Red Boat

5/97 Carnival Inspiration

9/97 Carnival Imagination

11/01 Grandeur of the Seas

2/02 Celebrity Century

10/02 Majesty of the Seas

1/03 Nordic Empress

5/03 Enchantment of the Seas

11/03 Celebrity Century

Archived