San Juan Rain Forest Review.

MikeACY

The MSC Seaside excursion description said this was a 4 1/2hour tour, with a long bus ride to the rain forest. It didn't mention that thiswas ONLY a bus tour. After a 45 min ride we stopped at a souvenir shop for 1/2hour (not mentioned in the description). Then off to the rain forest. Afteranother 30 min we stopped at Yokahu Tower in the rain forest for 20 min. Thendrove again for 15 min to see a water fall that was on the main road. We stayedthere 20 min, then to another location 15 min or so away to see a water streamrunning along the road. The excursion description mentioned that we would behiking thru some rough stuff and to wear appropriate footwear...well I guessthis was the place they were talking about. We walked down maybe 20 feet to arunning creak of water. No big deal! A few people went in the water, and thatwas it. We stayed about 30 min, and then boarded the bus back to the ship. Soin the 4 1/2 hours we sat on the bus for 3 of it at least. The excursiondescription gave us the impression that we would be hiking thru the rain forest,but that was not the case. Everything was seen from the main road, and exceptfor walking down a slight hill to get up to the running stream, everything elsewas on sidewalks. Would NOT recommend unless u just want to ride thru the rain forest on a bus!

They basically took you to the three main touristy spots, we did the same in about 2.5 hours including driving with a private excursion (and did some trail wandering).

BTW the waterfall is not so much on the main road as they put the main road near the most popular waterfall.

Oh there is a lot more to see. Just the big bus excursions don't take you there...I have a much longer itinerary for when we go back (it was our first time so we had to compromise)

Same experience with us.

Our state parks at home are actually more enjoyable. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
So if one was to do a walk through the rainforest what would constitute appropriate footwear. Could you get away with a pair of adidas water shoes?

Depends on what can your feet tolerate. If you do venture out into some of the few open trails you will be walking on wet, sometimes rough, sometimes uneven surfaces with maybe varying terrains, Not all pathways are 100 asphalt or concrete and some eve use the terrain as part of the path, I strongly recomend footware that not protects and stabilize your feet a bit netter than water shoes. Keep the water shoes for going into the river or falls themselves.

If you went on the trail I did sturdy shoes would be fine, same as for going down to the river. Some of the trails, boots would be recommended. I would not recommend water shoes as primary.

So if one was to do a walk through the rainforest what would constitute appropriate footwear. Could you get away with a pair of adidas water shoes?