SUNNIEBGI - Can you answer a few questions?

carmel

Hi,

I am looking for a very calm, quiet, clear water, shallow and non-croweded beach. We are not interested in water sports or bars. We basically want to sit at a quiet beach with our daughters (3 and 7) and play in the sand at water's edge.

My research has come up with Gibbes beach. I have a few questions.

1) About how much would a taxi from the port be?

2) Is this beach nice? Does it fit with what I'm looking for?

3) Is there an admission price to the beach?

4) Will a taxi driver know where to drop us off?

Thanks SO much for any help on this!

Hi,

I am looking for a very calm, quiet, clear water, shallow and non-croweded beach. We are not interested in water sports or bars. We basically want to sit at a quiet beach with our daughters (3 and 7) and play in the sand at water's edge.

My research has come up with Gibbes beach. I have a few questions.

1) About how much would a taxi from the port be?

2) Is this beach nice? Does it fit with what I'm looking for?

3) Is there an admission price to the beach?

4) Will a taxi driver know where to drop us off?

Thanks SO much for any help on this!

Let see if I can help.. I'll be honest, I haven't been up to Gibbs in a while so I'll try to answer as best as I can.

1..Taxi fare is likely to be around US$20.00 each way.. maybe not that much, but a good estimate.

2. The beach along that coast is usually very nice. as it's on the Western, sheltered, side of the island the water is usually flat. There are several other beaches along that stretch that you may want to check out as well.. Paynes bay, while maybe not totally quiet, it's a lovely stretch of beach.

3. Oh the days when I lived in New Jersey and had to pay to go on the beach.... The beaches in Barbados are Free and belong to everyone. There are no private beaches only private residences that block the beaches from people. As long as you can get onto the beach, it's yours to use.

4. The taxi drivers will for sure know where to drop you.

I also recommend Accra Beach.. Depending on the day it may not be crowded. The water is usually flat along that stretch (again, weather depending it could be a little choppy). or you can also go to a The south coast to a beach within the Carlisle Bay area called Brownes Beach.. it's more a local beach, no vendors, no facilities etc. beyond the boatyard, but the beach is flat and the water is usually flat as well. a taxi driver will know where this. We go there sometimes when we need a break from Accra.

I always suggest Sandy Beach as the water is extremely shallow there (at low tide), and is very calm. They also have outside showers and changing facility so you can freshen up before returning to the ship.

Another beach that is closer to the ship is at Carlisle Bay -- it's called Browne's Beach. No facilities, but a great bay with calm waters. When the sea is rougher at Sandy Beach (when it's high tide), it will still be calm at Carlisle Bay area.

Write me at swanson@ballardspahr.com if you want my tips.

Lois

Archived