Which beach rents paddle boats?

cruz_luvr1

I read some posts that said Megan's water wasn't as crystal clear as Sapphire's, in addition to the poor snorkeling. How is Magen's as far as facilities (bathrooms, restaurants) as opposed to Sapphire? Which beach do you think is more "festive"?

Hello cruise novice,

What are you referring to by paddle boats... kayaks or the waterbikes or something else? I answered your question in another thread but I was thinking paddle boats = the 4 wheel water bike things, rather than kayaks. Anyway to correct the answer I gave before... if its kayaks then yes Sapphire has them... I had said that Sapphire didn't have them as I thought you were talking about the water bikes.

And if you are talking water bikes then I don't think Magens Bay has them but they do have kayaks.

I think in general the water is clearer at Magens Bay. (In general meaning unless there is a weather system in the area stirring up the waters.) The snorkeling is better at Sapphire. Both Magens and Sapphire has restrooms... Magens has multiple restrooms/changing stalls similar to what you would find in a park as Magens is a park area and Sapphire has one restroom that is associated with the resort there. Neither beach is festive in my opinion with the exception of Sundays; on that day they are both festive as there are usually lots of semi-loud parties going on at Magens and in the afternoon at Sapphire on Sundays there is a live band. Is that what you meant by festive?

--Islander

http://www.*****

Hi Islander,

By paddle boats, I meant those thingies that you pedal - maybe those are water bikes? Not sure - to me they are more like a really small boat with pedals..

As for festive, I mean Calypso music playing, hair brainding stations, that kind of thing. I know I won't be there on a Sunday, so maybe neither beach will be "festive" the day I'm there.

BTW, I just got off the phone with the Sapphire Resort, and they told me they are in the process of putting together a day pass program for cruise ship passengers. The woman I talked to didn't really know when it was going to be in effect, and it sounded like she didn't really know what it would include. She seemed certain that the water sports booth rented paddle boats, unless she thought I meant something else (as you did). Anyway, I think we will have a good time there.

Hi Islander,

More questions:

1. Are there more water sports available at Megan's or Sapphire? Which is cheaper?

2. How far is Sapphire from Havensight

3. Is the water calmer at Megan's or Sapphire?

4. Is the ground really rocky at Sapphire? (I read that in another thread)

5. Are there a lot of iguanas at these beaches, and if so, are they dangerous?

6. Which one in your opinion is the prettier beach?

7. Which beach is better for a 10 year old and a 13 year old (my kids)?

This has become a very hard decision for me, as I want my family to have the best time they can while in St. Thomas.

Hello,

There are many water toys that are similar but I think I know what you are talking about now... not quite a kayak (that you have to paddle) and not quite a water bike (that is a floating thing with four big wheels that you pedal) but something in between... looked up what you are describing and its called a pedal boat.

I can't actually think of anywhere that I've seen pedal boats on St. Thomas. Not that they aren't here just can't think of any. Maybe Sugar Bay at Wyndham, but I think they were the water bikes. Sorry... guess I'll have to go out to all the beaches and check it out :D :D :D.

As for your festive... Magens Bay, I’ve seen a hair braider set up off to the side from the concession. They might have music playing at the bar but not on the beach itself unless there are parties going on at the rental sheds. Similarly Sapphire might have music playing at the bar. Not sure I've seen hair braiders at Sapphire on a regular basis??

For your questions...

Sapphire has more watersports than Magens. Not much to compare price wise as Magens doesn't have the options Sapphire has like jetskis, setting up parasailing, etc. And while they both have kayaks I don't know the prices to make a comparison.

Sapphire is about 17-20 minute drive from Havensight.

The water is generally calmer at Magens. Weather systems in the area can affect this.

There is an area at Sapphire that is rocky... coral pebbles. It’s the right side when facing the water. The left side is sandy.

There are iguanas everywhere, they are not dangerous. Like most other wildlife leave them alone and they will leave you alone. Sometimes they might walk down to the sand and might get close to people as some people feed them. I've seen them laying on beach goers towels while the person is in the water... they typically run away if you approach them closely or make a noise to shoosh them away. I've not seen iguanas on the beach at Magens but have seen them in the bushes behind the beach. Iguanas do hang out at Sapphire, so do ducks.

Prettier, ;) I am bias.... Magens Bay.

For small children I usually say Magens Bay because it’s a longer beach, deepens gradually. But 10, 13 year olds would enjoy either and Sapphire has more along the lines of windsurfing lessons if your kids were interested in trying that, and kayaks, snorkeling.

--Islander

Hi Islander,

Thanks so much for all informaton - it's much appreciated.

Now I am really torn between Magen's and Sapphire! It sounds like you favor Megan's.

Do you know if Magen's rents chairs and umbrellas?

Thanks.

Hello cruise novice,

Yes you can rent chairs at Magens... no umbrellas. Not many beaches on St. Thomas have umbrella rentals; actually I think only Coki offers umbrella rentals. There are some resorts with umbrellas for their guests. Magens and Sapphire both have a tree line that offers some shade.

Your family seems interested in watersports and for that I'd say pick another beach besides Magens; a resort beach is likely your best bet because they typically have more diverse watersports booths. Sapphire has a good selection, Bolongo Bay does too, so does Sugar Bay at Wyndham... kayaks, paddle things, windsurfers etc. Magens has kayaks, floats and I believe small two or three person sail boats... those might be fun for you to take your kids out on. And between that and kayaks you might be all set… or you might want more options. Also if you wanted to snorkel, the snorkeling at Magens isn't very good because the bay is almost all sandy.

So figure out what you guys are looking for most from your beach day and see which beach offers the majority of those things.

--Islander

Archived