Flight Question

regionboiler

Christina,

You are talking MAY not winter, this is when we have all the trouble. you will have PLENTY of time to get to the port unless you just out and out miss your flight. That being said I hope you got travel insurance and NOT from the cruiseline, honestly EVERYONE who cruises SHOULD have it. not just for delays but for medical and evacuation coverage and for anything that could happen to a family member at home.

Christina,

You are talking MAY not winter, this is when we have all the trouble. you will have PLENTY of time to get to the port unless you just out and out miss your flight. That being said I hope you got travel insurance and NOT from the cruiseline, honestly EVERYONE who cruises SHOULD have it. not just for delays but for medical and evacuation coverage and for anything that could happen to a family member at home.

oh yea we have travel insurance with our flights and cruise. ohhh what a relief thanks so much for the positive feedback. im sure everything will be fine, i just had a mini panic attack when everyone was saying its crazy to fly in on the same day. lol thanks again!

you all are scaring me!! i have a cruise booked on may 13th out of port canaveral. my hubby and i are flying into orlando, and are scheduled to arrive at 9:10 in the am and our ship departs @ 4. We are flying from new jersey and unfortunately we have a connecting flight in N carolina. So that makes it even more risky. uuuuuggg now im worried. do you think ill have enough time? i mean in my defense logically speaking to be "scheduled" to arrive at 9:10 for a 4:00 departure seems like plenty of time. and really what are the odds of some catastrophe happening that holds us up for 7 hours? someone comfort me please and tell me i didnt make a big mistake. lol everything is already booke dnad bought so wish us luck i guess.

Travel insurance is ALWAYS a must!... However winter is not the only time there are bad delays... I've had VERY long delays in May and other times of the year due to thunderstorms, fog, and mechanical and air traffic control delays can happen ANY time, not mention how miserable you would be if you made it to the ship, but your luggage did not.

I would never take a cruise if I couldn't fly in at least a day early... There are just too many delays/problems with flying to take a chance of missing your cruise... You're not going until May, you still have time to get a hotel room and change your outbound flight - There will be a change fee in most cases, but it's money well spent!

Now I am concerned as well.:( I am going on a Carnival Cruise that departs from Miami at 4pm. I booked a Nonstop flight from Philly Int. which arrives in Miami at 8:30 am. Is that not enough time to get to the ship?:confused:

o see im not the only one who has made this mistake. im going to try not to stress over it, im betting 7 hours between arrival and departure is enough time even if there is a delay or 2. we'll see. however just in case i may at least look into what it would cost and take to maybe get an earlier flight the day before or something like that, but if its too much money or something im just going to stick it out and hope for the best.

I'm a first time cruiser, and I guess I'm gambling too, by flying in the day of. Our problem is that we are leaving from New York, and hotel rooms are very expensive there. We hadn't even planned on flying, but then I found out parking for ten days will be comparable to the cost of a flight. So we will take the earliest possible flight and hope for the best!

Kelly

Hey there, we are in southern IN, and are flying on Airtran. I did a quick check for your dates, and they have a flight arriving with one stop at 9 am. Here's the link http://tickets.airtran.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi. If that doesn't work, just go to airtran.com. They aren't on many of the travel websites that I've seen. I just heard about them recently with the Wendy's promotion. Anyway, it's also a really cheap flight on that day, like $85. Hope this helps!

Hey Boiler ... check Southwest Airlines (southwest.com).

They aren't selling for June 19 yet (they are only selling up to June 9 .. so you will need to wait a couple of weeks). The have a flight that leaves Midway at 6:35am and arrives in Tampa at 10:15am.

I did a price check for you on a round trip leaving 2 June and returning 9 June,

in order to give you an example .... prices and times look really good to me:

Depart Jun 02 Fri N/S MDW-TPA 2122 Depart Chicago (MDW) at 6:35 AM

Arrive in Tampa (TPA) at 10:05 AM

Return Jun 09 Fri N/S TPA-MDW 822 Depart Tampa (TPA) at 2:15 PM

Arrive in Chicago (MDW) at 3:55 PM

Total Price for 2 tickets = $394.20 ($197.10 per person)

Anyway .... just wanted to throw you another option. Good luck and I hope you have a great vacation!

Matt, Thanks for the research. It seems that every time I checked flights, Southwest would never come up. I will look into them, especially since it would be much more convenient than driving to Indy.

I do have an update for everyone as to my original post. It seems that the stress that my wife's brother experienced this past Friday (there was some bad weather in Chicago) concerning his flight Saturday morning for his same day Miami cruise departure. My wife came home from work on Friday and agreed that we need to leave the day before!!!!!:D :D

I am now going to look into our flight leaving out of Midway rather than Indy. It will be about $20 more, (total for 4 people) but that will easily be saved in gas alone!!

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful, this board is great!!!

Archived