Rental car Vs. Shuttle to/from port to PBI Magica 3/26

JPhotoz

Maybe someone can help me.

2 adults and 2 kids

We are flying into Palm Beach on the 25th.

We are staying in Boca Raton Marriot that night.

We plan to rent at the pBI airport when we arrive and then drive down.

I can get a car rental for the week plus one day for about $240 with tax and fees.

I can rent a car twice for about $45/day .

3/26/06 sail away for fun

Here is my question- If I only rent for the two days that the car is needed how much would it cost to get to the car rental place to/from the port?

Would it be cheaper to just take a shuttle on the return to PBI?

Thank you for any help with pricing. Is the shuttle at the port?

Jordan

Not sure I understood your question.

It's an hour drive from Port Everglades to PBI ( I live very close to PBI). Shuttles are expensive, I've been trying to price transportation from here to Port Everglades for our 3/19 Magica cruise. It was anywhere from $65-$100 one way. We decided to just drive & park at the port for $84.

Not sure what car rental service you are using, do they charge a drop off fee for dropping it somewhere other than where you p/u from ( ie P/U @ PBI, Drop off @ Port Everglades)?

If you rent the car for the week, you would still need to pay the $84 parking fee @ the pier.

I believe you have to pre-arrange shuttle service in advance. I've never heard of them just hanging out there waiting for p/u's to go all the way up to PBI, maybe to FLL or MIA airports because they are much closer and most often used.

Jordan:

Florida is one of the few places with no drop off charges. You will find this is the case with the Hertz, Dollar, Budget and many others. Some smaller firms do charge a drop-off fee.

Check online with a P/U at PBI and a D/O at FLL all within 24 hours with any major rental company and see. Rent for the 2 days. Don't rent and pay to park a rental.

Suggest P/U at PBI and D/O in FLL, most companies are at airport, I believe some companies are D/T near the port and that would be a bonus due to the possibility of a shuttle.

If you D/O at airport take cab to cruiseport (no shuttle) for about $16.

(2 weeks ago we P/U in TPA and D/O in FLL - No D/O fee)

We are renting a car for 1 day and dropping off at the airport in FLL. With 4 kids it pays for us to rent a van for 39.99 vs the cost of a shuttle. Of course it is a little inconvenient but with what we are saving it is worth it. My husband will drop me and the kids at the port and then go return the car on his own and catch up to us. Should take about 45 minutes. The cab fare should be 10-15 dollars from FLL to port.

Many (maybe all) of the rental car places have a free shuttle to the port, and they'll help you with your luggage. I saw a lot of people using Thrifty.

Seconding: no one-way charges on car rentals in Florida and don't forget parking charges at the pier if you are thinking about renting a car for a week.

With your information we have deceided to do the following.

rent from Budget from PBI airport

Drop off at the 17th street location

After cruise I will pick at the same 17th location.( will this be crowded?)

then drive to PBI.

Again thank you all.

Jordan

I got a price of $45 total for the PBI to Fll Car rental

and then $29.33 for the 17th street to PBI for the 4 hour rental.

So with the shuttle being $65/ person I guess I did good for my family of four.

Thank you,

Jordan

I got a price of $45 total for the PBI to Fll Car rental

and then $29.33 for the 17th street to PBI for the 4 hour rental.

So with the shuttle being $65/ person I guess I did good for my family of four.

Thank you,

Jordan

Not sure where on 17th st the car rental is, should be east by the causeway. You can get into the port from 17th st & Eisenhower right where the Broward Convention Center is just before you go over the causeway...real close to the port. It's a busy shopping, restaurant & hotel area. It's nice.

Hi Jordan,

We're also on the Magica on March 26th. Anyone else out there??

We've got three cabins, with 5 kids going, ages 5-10. What ages are yours?

I heard the ship was almost sold out (or at least certain categories) but I haven't seen many posts from fellow cruisers ;)

We're flying into FLL two days ahead, we'll do as some others recommended and rent a car for our pre-cruise time, drop the family off to the ship, return car, then cab it back to the ship.

Have a great day!

Deanna

Maybe someone can help me.

2 adults and 2 kids

We are flying into Palm Beach on the 25th.

We are staying in Boca Raton Marriot that night.

We plan to rent at the pBI airport when we arrive and then drive down.

I can get a car rental for the week plus one day for about $240 with tax and fees.

I can rent a car twice for about $45/day .

3/26/06 sail away for fun

Here is my question- If I only rent for the two days that the car is needed how much would it cost to get to the car rental place to/from the port?

Would it be cheaper to just take a shuttle on the return to PBI?

Thank you for any help with pricing. Is the shuttle at the port?

Jordan

We don't have any planned events yet. I just looked up the cabin assignment on the deck plan and our cabins are not next to each other as requested. I guess I will have to call Costa tomorrow. Maybe they will offer me an upgrade for the error. We got two cabins just for the extra room.

My two girls have not been on a cruise before so it should be fun. I don't know if they will be into the kids club. ( they are shy) If they would only relax and have a good time.

Jordan

Archived