What to Expect...

pina

This will be our first time cruising and first time for a "real" vacation, far from home. I am trying not to stress from how much to pack, to shore excursions I picked, to how much money to bring. I have been reading reviews from the Dream and all the messages for tips, but is it normal to stress this much? I want it to be a stree free vacation (as much as you can be with two kids anyway), but does everyone do this before a big vacation?

You better believe we do! :eek:

Reading these boards, and getting advice from others who've sailed the same ship, or visited the same ports helps a lot, though!

Be advised - cruising is a serious addiction, and once you've sailed you're hooked for life! :p

Happy sailing to you! :D

It IS normal to be stressed especially when you have not cruised before and in general the whole getting there and then getting home is the real stressful part. you are doing the right thing to read here though lots of useful info. Once you are on board you will have a great time. Be sure to read and carry with you your daily newsletter, very important to keep informed.

Always stressed. Did I pack too little? Did I pack too much? Airline, transportation, hotels, how to get to and from ports and on and on and on.

BUT, once you're standing on the top deck with your first frozen drink in your hand you forget it all. Then you're even more stressed when you get home afterwards and realize you have to wait to go again. It's an addiction.

Have a wonderful time.

Stop worrying. Worrying over molehills will ruin your vacation.

Some Rules For Packing For Vacations.

#1. You overpacked something this time, you packed an item you never used.

Solution: Welcome to the crowd, we have all been guilty of overpacking. Write it down in your diary, or notepad to remember not to pack that item on your next vacation.

#2. You underpacked this time, you forgot to pack something you eventually needed.

Solution: Buy it. On a cruise, buy it aboard the ship or while ashore at a port.

#3. Catch 22 applies on every cruise. What is overpacked for one vacation is underpacked on the next. See Rules #1 and #2 above.

So stop worrying about packing. Once you have a few real vacations and cruises under your belt, you will realise how foolish you were worrying about a vacation. Instead, plan to have fun.

The only things you really need to pack are your (a)tickets, (b)IDs, ©one credit card, and (d)the "resort casual" clothes you're wearing. You really don't need to pack anything into a suitcase to have fun on a cruise.

I unpacked on a cruise to find i had only the pants i was wearing, never found the 5 pairs or so the DW packed.

No bags missing.

Returned home after cruise they where not there, maybe left them in a hotel, 15 years later still i don't know what happened.

So i spent alot of time in shorts.

So much for careful planning and packing.

Did it inpact me having a good time? NO

Only bad part was i needed to buy new pants to replace them.

I tease the DW about this every time we get ready to go on a cruise.

So what can you do?

Get to the boat ontime with ID and 1 C/Card the rest is just nice to have stuff.

Hi Pina,

I know how you feel. I felt the same way. Look at the stuff for 1st time cruisers and packing tips, they have great tips. Read the reviews for your ship, you will find ideas on what to do (or what not to do). Don't dwell on negative reviews, take both the positive and the negative to form a basic picture and go with an open mind no matter what you read. Ask questions and do searches, there is so much info and so many helpful people here. When you get on the ship, you'll feel your stress melt away. Best vacation I ever took. I only wish I didn't wait 4 years between my cruises. When you get back...pass on your experiences to help people in your shoes later. What cruise and when?

Mike

Suppose you underpack, what's the worst that can happen?

Suppose you overpack, what's the worst that can happen?

You are on vacation and trying to get away from being perfect in life. Enjoy yourself.

Back in 1989 my husband and I went on a cruise and our luggage was lost for 4 days. What could we do? All that prestress of packing was a waste

of our time. We had a marvelous time and made do.

So relax, because before you know it you will be back home stressing about life.

This will be our first time cruising and first time for a "real" vacation, far from home. I am trying not to stress from how much to pack, to shore excursions I picked, to how much money to bring. I have been reading reviews from the Dream and all the messages for tips, but is it normal to stress this much? I want it to be a stress free vacation (as much as you can be with two kids anyway), but does everyone do this before a big vacation?

All of the above info is great. I might add that this is just another vacation - and can be handled very much the same way as your land vacations.

Pack appropriately for whatever your cruise destination is. Take less clothing than you think you need for yourself, and more for the children.

Go with an absolutely positive attitude, and a determination to enjoy each and every day of this wonderful cruise. If anything upsetting occurs, take care of it immediately, and forget it - don't sweat the small stuff at all.

Stop stressing and enjoy yourself - it is just another vacation after all!

Be careful if you are flying. Most airlines now have a 50 lb. weight limit per luggage piece. Trust me on this one. We got busted on this flying Southwest to Houston. We were scrambling pulling stuff out of one bag and shoving it in others. You also have the option to pay $25 extra for each overweight bag.

The cruise will be waaaayy more casual than you ever thought it might be!

Don't get caught up in the panic that overtakes alot of people when it comes to getting off the ship to get to your excursions. Just have your family gathered up and get down the stairs and you WILL get to your tender or the dock before you know it.

When you are on the ship forget about what time it is. If you have to wait ten minutes for a fresh basket of rolls at dinner...big deal. Talk to your kids about the next days adventures or flirt with your husband or get to know your tablemates. You will be amazed at the grumpy, scornful people who try to run roughshod over the crew. It is actually kinda humorous!

Off the ship...keep an eye on the time;)

Archived