Luminosa 42 day WC segment feb/march 2019

MortgageChick

We are booked for a 42 day WC Segment on Luminosa Feb/march 2019.  We sailed Costa  once before  ( Costa Mediterannea 2003) , and it is close to the bottom of my 50+ cruise experiences .  However, the itinerary we have booked for Feb/March is exactly what we were looking for, at a fair price, so we are adjusting our expectations accordingly.

We are currently booked in a Premium OV and have the Pranzo and Cena package included. My TA fought for this inclusion, as it was mistakenly listed it as included  for this particular itinerary.     We had made a significant non refundable deposit based on Pranzo and Cena being included, before learning World cruises and Word cruise segments are excluded.

My first question is regarding Coffee and Tea.  I have been reading a lot about coffee not being included in the basic fare cost, and that absolutely makes no sense to me, and I am sure that I would have noticed this on our previous Costa cruise.  Even the lowest price lines allow you unlimited coffee, tea, water.  I may have to pack a french press and some coffee...... is hot water readily available at the buffet, or is that at an extra cost too.  I don't require cappucino or latte...just good strong brewed coffee..2 cups in the morning with cream.

It is unclear to me from the few "bathrobes" posts I have read , if Costa provides these or not. We have always been provided with robes on the mainstream cruise lines ( NCL, RCL,Carnival, HAL etc).  I am aware that European based cruise lines do things differently, but even on my very low priced Pullmatur Med cruise this past summer, a Bathrobe was supplied.... 

For those who have experience with the Pranzo and Cena packages, do the bar staff ignore you if you have the package?  I have experienced this on some lines, as they feel they are not going to get anything extra(tip).  We usually tip up front when we have a drinks package to make sure the waiter returns, but with the package only applying at lunch and dinner , perhaps ordering more than one glass of wine could be a challenge?  I just want to know what we should expect.

TIA for your comments and input :)

Luminosa is same class as Mediterranea but a decade newer. The main dance floor is much improved and there is a smoking lounge to sequester the smokers. Other changes I'm less thrilled about. Deliziosa is a sister ship, almost identical.

"Basic" is a relatively new fare category, cheap because it includes nothing. It works better for families and short trips around Europe. "Premium" is a higher fare which includes Brindiamo drink package (and lower single supplements). I usually book premium now, I've never felt second-class about service, Any service issues should be addressed to the maitre d', especially if you're more American in your outlook than European.

I'd wonder about which fare you're actually booked, except WC are a one-off deal, could be entirely different fare categories.

On Deliziosa in the Caribbean, hot water is available 24 hr in the buffet. Can't remember about Europe. Europeans tend to drink stronger coffee than Tim Hortons, whether you'll like it, no comment.

Your agent doesn't sound very proactive, have they even briefed you on Terms and Conditions? A couple of questions I can think of are Magic Bag laundry specials and operational currency.

Was on both and in my opinion, Luminosa is much different than Mediterranea - compare on deck plans. Sister ship for Luminosa is Deliziosa, for Mediterranea - Atlantica. I am not sure if Costa for WC has different rules than for other cruises so I suggest to discuss them carefully with agent. I talked with my friend who was on WC 2 years ago and f.e. Costa Club point were calculated different than normal (lower rate), basic beverage package was P&C (also for premium cabins) but price included package of excursions and loundry (limited for few bags). On the other hand, they could change it - in Costa nothing is sure.