Kayak-san Juan

shm

Hi Sherry,

Hopefully someone who has will chime in, because I have I have not done it, However, I am going to and I have some info you would be interested in if you don't already know:

#1- the moon has to be fairly hidden to see the bioluminecence

#2- check out www.biobay.com - this is a different bay than the Carnival excursion, but should give you a good idea of what to expect, plus they have the moon phases and a helpful key to when it's a 'great' 'good' 'ok' or 'no tour' time period.

I go in early april, and will surely have a review of it on here- so if you go later be sure to look for it.

Yes.. Hubby and I did this tour on our cruise... in 2000, tho it has been a while, I never will forget it.. below is why..

Don't flame me.. I'm just being honest.. and its my opinion..and its not all bad :D ..

When we got of the ship, and boarded the bus to take us.. it was fun.. seeing PR .. But once we got out side of the city limits.. We drove down a road that had slums, it was dirty, nasty, Icky, Words can not explain what we saw from the windows of the bus. I truly felt sorry for all these people living in these conditions..

After a 2 and half hour bus ride, ( there was an accident and had to wait for traffic). We arrived at the river/marina/dock. ( it was about 7:30) almost completely dark... lots of cloud cover, and almost no-moon. Also the place we went was very dimly lit.

We were told on the bus prior to getting off, there were bathrooms to the right, down a path, and we would meet at the waters edge in 15 mins. As we got off the bus, (which was parked 2 steps away from the curb which I didn't see). I ended kicking the curb. which wasn't a big deal.. I didn't fall.. I just stubbed.

However, being there was no light where we were, I didn't realize what had happen until we reached the lights of the bathroom. The lady behind me grasped my arm, and was all up set. She pointed and said "your toe" .. I had left a trail of blood from the curb, to the bathroom. It was gushing. ( yes I know.. kinda gross). I never even noticed, cause it was sandy.

All the ladies in front of me in line let me go to the bathroom 1st.. ( kinda a perk I guess).. As some of the ladies behind me ran to get the instructors/cruise personal who were with us.

I come out of the bathroom, and you would think I had cut off my leg with the attention I received. They cleaned my toe, Bandaged it up. They even asked if I wanted to be taken back to the ship.. ( which I didn't.. It was my toe.. lol) They allowed me to get in the kayak 1st, and keep my foot dry. With the strict instructions when we get back to the ship go to the infirmary..

OK.. back to the Trip..

We paddled out, and around and in to what I could only describe as a canal, with trees on each side.. and in to the bay... the tide was coming in, which made paddling in very easy.. it pushed you along.

As we paddled along you could start to see the lights in the water as your paddle entered the water, and moves out.. It was really AMAZING!! We all got to the middle of the bay, and they gave you a talk about the organisms in the water, how when they produce light, and being 1 of 7 places in the world with this life for etc.. When you Put your hands in the water.. watch as you pour the water back out, making a glow.. very wild..

They also gave us all granola bars, and fruit, as they talked. after about 30 mins in the middle of the bay we paddled back to the canal. ( now I don't know if this happens every time.. but) the instructions got out of their kayaks, and helped push us thru the difficult areas with the strong currents. You really needed some strong paddling.. Its a work out. Once we were out of the Canal, it was easier to move along..

We get back to the dock/beach area.. Get out of the kayak, get back on the bus, and head back to the ship.. We arrived back about 11:30 ish.. I think we were the last tour back. Kinda a good thing we did this thru carnival, or I think we would of been left behind.

Now if your wondering.. Yes I did go to the infirmary.. and it hurt like hell what they did.. Scrubbing it out with Peroxide, to get the sand and germs out.. Apparently PR isn't a clean place according to the Doctor. I couldn't get it wet for 2 days.. So no snorkeling or beach trips.. which they happily refunded.. and they helped us find something we could do if we wanted.

The trip was very fun.. I would suggest it for anyone.. But not for anyone under 16.. you really need to work getting out of the bay..

Sorry if I offended any one, but Its the way I saw PR.. 1st impressions..

-Dolly

Now time to flame you, Dolly... Just kidding :)

I appreciate your story. It helped paint the picture of the excursion well. And I'll try not to stub my toe:) .

I do have a question: my folks are around 60. In 'ok' shape- they work hard in the garden and yard work and such, but they're not overly active and certainly do not workout or paddle or do regular cardio excercise.

In your experience, do you think the paddling would be too difficult for them?

Thanks!

I do have a question: my folks are around 60. In 'ok' shape- they work hard in the garden and yard work and such, but they're not overly active and certainly do not workout or paddle or do regular cardio exercises.

Well... On our excursion we had mostly 20's - 40's year olds with us..

That said..

Its not just the paddleing...

-You have to be able to sit on the kayak, which is a hard plastic tiny boat thingie.. about 8 feet long.. If your rear tends to get sore after sitting on something hard for awhile.. I would suggest not going... You do get kinda sore..

-The Paddling to the bay was actually kinda easy.. Your going in on the current.. it pushes you along. ( at least it did that night for us) I do not know if it changes depending on the tides and months..

Now.. On a scale of 1 to 10 ( 10 being paddling up Niagara falls back wards) It was a good 4 1/2 coming back out.. But its only hard for about the length of a foot ball field.. then it is easy again. So about 30 feet from the entrance of the canal, All in the Canal, and til about 20 feet once your out of the Canal..

If they can handle some short bursts of exercise, then I would say go for it.. It really is a fun FUN trip.. once in a life time.. its Very pretty... I wish I had a camera to take pictures of it.. but alas, not a waterproof one that time..

One more tid-bit .. I was 28 at the time of doing this.. and not very active.. I didn't even know what cardio was.. Now.. I'm soon to be 33 :eek: .. I know what Cardio is .. * giggle* I think I would do this again.. If I had a flashlight to see where I was going..:rolleyes:

OK.. I lied.. another Tid-bit...

I looked at the web-site link you posted about another tour... Just FYI.. the lights are not that bright.. I think they doctored those pictures up some.. its Bright.. but in those pictures its really REALLY bright.

Thanks for not Flaming.. And Gatorclaw.. I love your video trip tours, Oh my gosh..I so need to learn how to do that.. I want to do that on our March 26th Victory Trip this year..

-Dolly

Archived