carnival or ta for cruise?

jdhoyt

We are in the process of booking a Sept cruise(mexican riviera). What is the advantage of booking directly with carnival versus a travel agent. it seems that all the prices i find are the same(even on carnivals web site).

any suggestions?

jd hoyt

If you have a TA you use regularly and have a trusting relationship with you may be better off with the TA. If you are walking in off the street or planning to use the internet - you may be better off booking direct.

The cruise lines do not allow TAs to advertise specials which would explain the no rate difference. You may be able to negotiate a better rate with a TA.

Sometimes you can get a much better rate with a TA than with Carnival directly. Some agencies block off group space, then sell those cabins individually at a discounted rate. Also, TA's can offer other perks as well such as onboard credits, a free excursion, etc. I'd shop around and see who can offer you the best deal before you make a committment with either.

Since I have been booking with an on-line TA, I have never paid anywhere near the brochure rate....or the rate on Travelocity...or the rate on the Cruiseline website....which all quote basically the same price.

Have you tried this site:

http://www.*****.com

It is not a travel agency.

Check it out.

Good reputation.

i use a usa based ta as they are much cheaper than uk based ones , however when booking the liberty med cruise i checked out all the usual usa ta,s and they were all the same price. at the same time, i needed to contact carnival about our upcoming victory cruise while i was on the phone i asked for a quote for the liberty , and it was a whopping $1550 less , needless to say i booked straight away. i suppose it depends on what day you ring

I always book directly with Carnival and get the same rates as the TA or Dot.coms, Besides if you have a problem, you wont get the run around as this person did with Travelosity as in the Carnival Customer Service Thread. Book with the Cruiseline and deal directly with them if theres a problem, no middle person to have to wait for.

The extra bottle of wine or onboard credits they offer to me is not worth the hassle when theres a problem.

Fred

Archived