Take My Family - Please!?!

Nick Needs To Know

I'm a single guy, in my very early thirties, and, I'd like to do something extra special for my parents this year. My Mom just came out of a battle with cancer and has completed her treatment and things look very positive. My sister and her husband agreed that we'd split the cost between us and that we'll go with them. I have been on two cruises so far, so, I still consider myself a newbie.

Unfortunately, due to schedules, the only time we can all take vacation will be over the Christmas holiday. I have no problem being away from home during the holidays, but, I know this is probably the most expensive time of year to cruise. Given this - my sister and her husband and myself have agreed that we'll take lesser cabins so Mom and Dad can live it up a bit. In other words, we'll take inside cabins and get our parents a balcony cabin.

Now the main problems - which ship? which itinerary?

Since we're doing this for Mom and Dad, we'd like to tailor it to their taste. They are retired and while they have traveled, they have never cruised and they are far from world travelers, however, the cruise experience does appeal to them and they've talk about trying it for a while now. Mom is ever so slightly prone to seasickness and after going through chemo, well, l'd like to have the calmest waters possible so she doesn't have any problems that are associated with seasickness. And, yes, we'll be sure to by her those bands.

Mom and Dad are active for their age and will enjoy things like spa treatments, the chance to golf on-shore, and they love meeting people.

So please post your recommendations. We're going to surprise Mom on Valentine's Day with the plan so, we want to book fairly soon so we have the best cabin choices.

Thanks.

Nick

Yes, you should book early to get the best rates. My Century cruise with my family over Thanksgiving has increased 25% (in stages) since we booked last September.

Cruise from FL, not the northeast, as the waters are generally calmer. Choose a larger ship for less motion and more activities. I like to have the option of specialty dining personally. And I prefer the fitness centers and spas on M class ships.

If golf is important, pick an itinerary that offers a nice course. Half Moon in Montego Bay is very nice, as is Mahogany Run in St.Thomas is also.

I think it is terrific that you are doing this for your parents, especially that you are going with them which will make it extra special. I have taken my folks on a good number of cruises and they always enjoyed themselves. My mom's favorite so far is Celebrity.

Yes, you should book early to get the best rates. My Century cruise with my family over Thanksgiving has increased 25% (in stages) since we booked last September.

Cruise from FL, not the northeast, as the waters are generally calmer. Choose a larger ship for less motion and more activities. I like to have the option of specialty dining personally. And I prefer the fitness centers and spas on M class ships.

If golf is important, pick an itinerary that offers a nice course. Half Moon in Montego Bay is very nice, as is Mahogany Run in St.Thomas is also.

I think it is terrific that you are doing this for your parents, especially that you are going with them which will make it extra special. I have taken my folks on a good number of cruises and they always enjoyed themselves. My mom's favorite so far is Celebrity.

This is a great plan for your folks. I have to second everything caviargal says above (just look at her credentials). The M class ships she speaks of are the Celebrity Millennium class (Millennium, Infinity, Summit and Constellation). They're among the largest of (what I call) the trans-canal ships in that they are just nearly the size of the shortest and narrowest locks in the Panama Canal and so just make it through. There are a few larger cruise ships out there, but not many. This means they are among the most stable ships in the water and least prone to motion. And, contrary to our experience this year with tropical storms, the holidays are into the calm season in the Carribean.

My wife and I enjoy fine dining or making an event out of dining and the Celebrity M class ships are probably top of the heap in the cruise world in that regard. Each has a specialty restaurant with service elevated to an extremely high level and menu selections that are excellent. They really do make dining a two and a half hour event.

There is one other great golf course out there (counted among the world's top 100) and that is Teeth of the Dog at Casa de Campo, in the Dominican Republic. However, Half Moon Bay is in Jamaica, which rates near the top of a lot of people's "Least Favorite Places to Visit" and Casa de Campo has very little else to do if you DON'T play golf. I think Mahogany Run in St. Thomas is best situated for those that enjoy a golf outing while cruising with plenty else to offer (including my DW's favorite pastime - shopping). The good news....St. Thomas shows up on a lot of ship itineraries.

Your story brought a tear to my eye.....I hope you and your family have an excellent holiday. It's a great time to cruise for a lot of people.

Rick

We are on the Century Thanksgiving cruise with you and your family.:)

Hi Everyone,

Again, thank you so much for all your suggestions. I spoke to my sister this morning and, I told her everything I was able to find with my research and she shared what she found with me. After some discussion, we believe our parents would probably enjoy the Southern Caribbean route the best. Now, the real work begins...

We selected the Southern Caribbean for several reasons, first because my parents honeymooned in Puerto Rico 35 years ago and, we thought they'd get a kick out of returning there. The second reason is because the cruises from Puerto Rico are very port intensive (and that's a good thing) because they really stop at some interesting islands. And, lastly, from what we could find, it seems like the Southern Caribbean has the calmest seas in December.

We are now looking at Crown Princess departing December 23; Carnival Destiny departing December 24; Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas departing December 24; Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas departing December 23; and our long shot is Celebrity Galaxy departing December 22 (the Galaxy is a long shot because it is a longer cruise and, we'll all have to see if we can get the extra time off work to go on an 11 night cruise).

I realize each ship I've mentioned has it's pluses and minuses, and, that just adds to the confusion. So, I will now turn this forum back over to you and, I will be posting this on the other boards as well. And, any information about the specific ships I have listed, the islands or hotels for a pre or post hotel stay is more than welcomed and very much needed. The only thing we do know for certain is that we've been informed to buy our airlines tickets as soon as possible but, my question is - shouldn't we book our air through the cruise line? Or is it better to go on our own? We all live in New York but, Newark is our first choice for airports since it's easy access from Staten Island.

Thank you so much everyone!

Nick

You will not get a balcony on Galaxy's 12/22/06 11 night..sold out. Ship filling up quickly in the last 3 weeks and prices jumping almost daily. Also, no tripples or quads left from what I have seen on the boards.

Some outsides and insides left, but you may want to book quickly if this is your choice. It still is a great deal for the 11 nights with great ports on a lovely ship.

Nick,

you do not need my advice - it is clear you and your sis are doing all the right things - research and asking questions - and you have come to the right spot here with us - I just want to suggest an early January or late December if that is at all possible - less crowds and easier travels thru the airports, and . . . . . . I just want to say how special I think you and your sis are for doing this for your folks - you are a peach:p

MamaQuack

Nick:

Of the ships you mention, I would go with Serenade of the Seas. It is a beautiful, elegant ship. The service is wonderful. It is not nearly as massive as Adventure of the Seas.

We have been on nearly 30 cruises, and the Radiance class ships of RCCL (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel of the Seas) are our very favorite. As you can see from my signature, we have two cruises booked for this year on Brilliance of the Seas.

I would also suggest that you try to get them a cabin as mid-ship as possible and the lowest deck with balconies. The lower and more mid-ship a cabin is, the less motion they will feel. Frankly, the stabilizers are so good on Radiance Class ships, you will probably feel little if any motion.

Have a wonderful trip no matter what you choose. You and your sister are very special for doing this for your parents. Enjoy yourselves.

Serenade is a beautiful ship and I think the best of the lot in your selection. AOS is nice also but too big IMO and too impersonal. Serenade is visually stunning, well laid out and much more beautiful. I have done both to the Southern Caribbean (total of six on that routing with 5 ships) and she was the very best.

Archived