mariner of the seas vs. carniv. glory

tktktk

I can give you a comparison between the Glory and the Navigator which is the sister to the Mariner and only a year apart in age.

The Glory cannot even touch the Mariner in amenities. Yes you will probably find the Glory to be less expensive but I firmly believe that one gets what they pay for. Kids love the Voyager class ships.

The Glory holds almost as many passengers as the Mariner but is smaller. 110,000 tons against 138,000 tons. The Glory had a very crowded feeling. Especially on the promenade deck in the evening and around the pool during the day. I have never felt crowded on the Navigator. Carnival drives you crazy with bingo before the shows and is hard to escape. RCI does not do this in the main theater prior to the shows. Carnival also placed the teen disco right next door to the adult disco which means trouble with kids in the evening. RCI had the common sense to give the kids their own separate space away from the adult areas.

Carnival has slightly larger standard cabins but smaller suites compared to RCI and not nearly as nice as RCI regardless of cabin category.

I also feel that RCI has much better service and and more friendly crew overall. They also do a much better job at keeping their ships cleaner than Carnival.

I have found that overall they are about even with entertainment. Food is about the same but I like that on RCI I can order a hot breakfast for room service and also one can order certain items off of the lunch and dining room menu for room service.

Carnival has much better pizza. RCI's taste frozen.

RCI has a good past guest program. Carnival does not.

I guess we could sit and debate all night which one is best but after 16 cruises with Carnival, I took a seven day with RCI in 04 and there is no looking back at Carnival.

Got to agree with Cruisin' Gator on this one. I've done a seven day cruise on Mariner and a cruise on Liberty which is the Carnival equivalent of Glory. I prefer Mariner of the Seas by far.

I feel there is so much more to do...ice skating, rock climbing, putt putt golf, computer golf, in line skating, more shopping. I love Mariner's shopping prominade with the cozy cafes and the two parades they had down that "street."

The ship never felt crowded to me. There were parts of Glory that made me nearly claustrophobic. Are the ceilings lower? I prefer Mariner's decor. It strikes me as more elegant, while Carnival Liberty's public areas were almost psychedelic and over-busy...just a mish-mash of competing tectures and designs, yet at night in the Atrium, it felt cavernous, dark, almost Gothic.

Liberty has the more comfortable beds and bedding. I will hand them that.

But Mariner seemed easier to get around. It is laid out in a friendlier manner.

Mariner had some nice alternative dining options, Jonny Rockets diner, Portofino Italian restaurant and Chops. Liberty had only their steakhouse.

I thought the idea of Liberty's huge outside top deck movie screen was great, but the sound did not carry very far.

Mariner has a much nicer theater. The way Liberty's is designed, you had to be careful where you sat or you would be behind a column or be seated behind glass or a rail that hits you exactly at eye level. If you sit in the balcony there is no bar service unless you go somewhere and get it yourself. Mariner hardly had a bad seat in the theater. Both Liberty and Mariner had equally good shows, however. Liberty's shows skewed toward a slightly younger audience, but, by no means do either ship have a show for teens or young adults..a pity actually.

Maybe this does not matter to you, but it seemed as if more passengers followed a stricter interpretation of formal attire on formal night on the Mariner. The second formal night, fewer did, but it was still dressier than the Liberty. This may not be of any concern to you, one way or the other, but some folks here do place much importance on the standard of dress.

Maybe this does not matter to you, but it seemed as if more passengers followed a stricter interpretation of formal attire on formal night on the Mariner. The second formal night, fewer did, but it was still dressier than the Liberty. This may not be of any concern to you, one way or the other, but some folks here do place much importance on the standard of dress.

I also agree with this statement. Even though RCI and Carnival target the same demographics, it seems that the guests on RCI choose to follow the dress code for the evening better than the passengers on Carnival. Now I'm not saying that all guests do this but I have found that the majority do.

Make it the Mariner!!! Beautiful ship, much to see and do, never felt crowded. Food-what's not to like? Cabin-a tad smaller perhaps but who travels with a tape measure? Shows-top notch! Kid friendly too. Oh yeah....admit it all you MOS cruisers. Feels great to pull into port and have all the other ships passengers crowd around the rails to watch this beauty dock. Did ya do the Royal wave?????

All I know is that we've been on the Mariner twice and had THE BEST TIME! Also, both times when sailing away my daughters (10 & 13 ) looked over at the Glory and said "I'm glad we're on this ship and not on that one".

Enough said...

Last August, I travelled to the Caribbean on Mariner with my husband, and three sons (21, 18 & 14). The Mariner was absolutely wonderful. There was so much to do for my sons, with or without us. The food was great- my oldest always received two of everything without even asking. With the exception of my youngest, who played basketball day and night (and I mean NIGHT- midnight!), we went to all of the shows which were not Broadway, but very entertaining. There is a lot going on at night everywhere you look.

We've also been on Carnival's Destiny. Our first cruise was to Canada. It was all right. Food could have been better; it was a bit crowded and a little noisier than Mariner.

When we returned home, we learned that my mom had booked a cruise for all of us (including other family members- 14 in all) to celebrate her 75th birthday in the summer of 2006. She booked Princess- but after we got back from the Mariner, we convinced her to cancel Princess and book another Voyager class ship, Explorer. We can't wait for August as we are living through the cold and wet northern NJ winter!

The Mariner is defintely worth it! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

JA

I love Celebritiy!!! Have for years, but that being said I am in Mariner withdrawl!!!! We have been on the Mariner twice now, and just returned back for a 9 night cruise on the Century with Celebrity. I must say, I didn't realize how much I missed the Mariner until I didn't have it. So much more to do.

Mariner or bust

All I know is that we've been on the Mariner twice and had THE BEST TIME! Also, both times when sailing away my daughters (10 & 13 ) looked over at the Glory and said "I'm glad we're on this ship and not on that one".

Enough said...

My kids said the same thing when we were on Mariner next to the Disney ship!

We originally planned to sail Carnivals Glory, but I came to my senses and decided that a waterslide could not compete with rock climbing, mini golf, ice skating, roller blading and Johnny Rockets. How right I was! My kids (ages 16, 15 and 11) loved Mariner!

The only downside I can see is that once you do Mariner or any Voyager class, you can never do a 'lesser' (=Carnival) ship. That's why we are doing Freedom of the Seas this August!

Archived