Missed Ports - Regatta, Insignia - Oceania Explain Please

ABoatNerd

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sounds like ABoatNerd won't be cruising with Oceania anymore.

In any case, and trying to be fair-minded, as I look more carefully at some of the negative comments and things like the "crew-center" link in an earlier post, a few observations come to mind.

Firstly, just because someone served in a "navy" (even a great one like the US) doesn't mean they know squat about the navigational, engineering or commercial and liability challenges of a cruise ship. At a minimum, remember that the needs and tolerances of a shipful of geezers on a floating hotel require far more considerations than a crew on a war ship. As a sailor, I learned long ago that what weather I find rocking me to sleep can be a "white knuckle" nightmare for the uninitiated.

And there's little Oceania (or any other cruise line) can do about political upheaval (Nicaragua) or military (naval) exercises other than steer clear of them.

As for the suggestion by another disgruntled poster that Sirena needs a "major overhaul": I've been on the ship since the beginning of this month and I can attest that such a statement by a previous poster is quite an exaggeration.  After all, Oceania did spend $40 million on its conversion of the Ocean Princess to become Sirena in Spring 2016. Plus, it will have additional upgrades in the not-too-distant future.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion and folks unhappy with their O experience, may want to jump ship. With desirable (and, sometimes, all) cabins on newly announced Oceania itineraries selling out quickly, it's not like they're hurting for clientele. That said, however, I have to add that I have found Oceania management to be extremely receptive to realistic concerns we've brought to their attention from time to time.

Could not agree more with Flatbush Flyer. In my earlier posting when I spoke of Bar Harbor being cancelled on a beautiful day it was due to rough seas. Many thought this was extreme but the tender crews would have had an impossible and dangerous job getting all those old "geezers" in and out of the boats. I also thought the ship was in surprisingly good shape since Insignia was going to be the 1st of the R ships ( the cruise after mine) to be refurbished in the new Oceania Next fleet upgrade. Is the ship ready for a sweeping new look YES!  Was the ship impeccably kept YES even down to what appeared to be new carpet in our cabin. Second guessing the captain  and king him to personally explain himself is really too much , let him do his job.

• Like 1