2 way radios - do they work on the ship?

spiritgem

Has anyone had experience with at specific brand of 2 way type radios to keep in touch with their kids / group?

we are looking at some 'talk about' radios so that there are 4 instead of 2 but had hear that they may not work on the ship through the steel and conrete :confused:

what radios have you used?

We have used walkie talkies on two cruises with our children (NCL Majesty and RCI Splendour of the Seas). The radios worked great and we are taking them again in one month when we sail the Caribbean Princess! On RCL, we did experience other people on 'our line' but were still able to communicate with the children without a problem. We did not have any dead spots at all on our cheap, Walmart Bellsouth walkie talkies. We were with another family and they had alot of interference on their walkies but I don't remember the brand name, however, they too were able to communicate throughout the ship. I wouldn't cruise with children without our walkies! :)

p.s. they are also great for locating your spouse :D

We've used Motorolas. Thay have worked really well. It's amazing how much I rely on instant contact with DH...with no cell phone availability, the walkie-talkies were an absolute must. Kept the contingency planning on where/when to connect to a minimum and saved much running back and forth to the cabin to see if a note had been left!

We do try to restrict our use of them to infrequent, brief, logistical conversations. I've been on the pool deck, and people are using them for "chatting" - bad enough in general, but each transmission is preceded by that awful tone...

HTH!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived