round the island tour-feasible?

Mike & Sue

Is it realistic to hire a cab and take tour around the island in one day? Not expecting to spend much time anywhere, just time to see the sights, take some pictures and keep going on. Would this work, about how long does it take to circle the coastal areas? Thanks

It really doesnt take long to get around the island. We rented a car and drove (and drove after missing a turn) and made it almost to the other side from the dock (St Andrews Chuch area), then back thru the middle (lost again!) and to Speightstown, stopping for a short photo op at a beach. (It was pouring rain the day we were there so we didnt do as much as I would have liked.) Was back at the dock about 3 hours after we got the car so you can do quite a lot if you have a couple hours.

We usually like to rent cars and "do our own thing" also but were warned about getting lost on Barbados. Glad we booked a private tour with Cameron Reid www.scenicbarbados.com on our day there. I can see how everyone would get lost....roads are just not marked !!!! and there is no real difference between the main road and the few other ones that go off the main road - they are all the same size and look alike !!! Believe me - if dh can drive all over Jamaica, St. Martin, Antigua etc.... he can drive anywhere. But made for a pleasant day as we didnt have to worry about it....Cameron himself drove us ALL AROUND THE ISLAND. Picked us up at pier at 9 a.m. and we were back by 2:30 (we had been invited to dine at the captains table and wanted to be back a little earlier than usual)He took us to the best scenic spots and also would stop if we found an area we wanted to stop at. Took us to a neat restaurant in Speightstown for a real bajan lunch. Island is not that big so easily traversed in a few hours but due to the "lost factor" I am glad we did not do it ourselves. Now if we get back there we will rent a car and go it ourselves as we now know the basic lay of the land.

HI Mike and Sue, Time wise its no problem getting around the island if all you want to do is to see the sites, stop for a few pictures and move on.

There is a route I would suggest, which would be to leave the port and head towards Gun Hill Signal Station, then on to St. Johns Church and to the East Coast to Bathsheba and Cattlewash. Along the East Coast Road to Farley Hill (or maybe Cherry Tree Hill) and then over to the West Coast. You can either Head to Speightstown and ride along the West Coast Road all the way back to the port or take Highway 2A to Warrens and then over University Hill back to Spring Garden and the port area.

and yes.. I would recommend a driver guide do the driving so you can see the sights. Expect to pay a little more for a 4-5 hour road trip, but it's worth it.

You can stop along the way for lunch or snacks.. any rum shop along your route would be a great place to stop (and get some local flavor while your at it)

Archived