Different classes of ships

bonbon663

I'm a new cruiser, will be taking my first cruise this July. There is a lot of talk on the boards about "M" class ships. What is the significance of the classes of the ships? I'm going on the Infinity to Alaska. What is the class of this ship? Is it something I should have researched before booking?

In this case "M" refers to the first ship of this design built The Millennium.

There were in this class three other ships built -- Summit, Constellation, & Infinity. The ships have the same basic layout as to rooms and Staterooms.

So no matter which of the four you sail you will know where everything is even if a room does has a different name. -- In other words while each ships has a name for the main dinning room it is in the same place on all M-Class ships and has the same basic layout.

We like the M-Class ships and have sailed on them 6 times -- always can find a place to set and read. We do like the layout of this class of ship.

I'm a new cruiser, will be taking my first cruise this July. There is a lot of talk on the boards about "M" class ships. What is the significance of the classes of the ships? I'm going on the Infinity to Alaska. What is the class of this ship? Is it something I should have researched before booking?

The class if a ship refers to the first in a series of similar or nearly identical ships built by a Cruiseline. When you look at Celebrity's website, you will notice the ships are grouped according to their similarities, which are most commonly characterized by size and displacement. You can also look at ship details to give you a flavor of the differences in the classes regading balconies, shipboard amenities like spas and specialty restaurants (you must try the SS United States Restaurant on Infinity), etc.

Celebrity has three classes of ships in order of size and age: H Class - for Horizon class, C Class for Century Class and M Class for Millennium Class. Within the Class are the ships of the class as follows:

H or Horizon Class - smaller and more intimate - early 90's vintage

Horizon - Now sadly gone to another life with another cruise line.

Zenith

C or Century Class - Mediuim sized ships. Most feel a very nice and comfortable size of ship - not too large, not too small. Mid 90's vintage

Century - Soon to be refit....will stand out a bit from the other ships in the class.

Mercury

Galaxy

M or Millennium Class - Celebrity's largest and newest class. Early 2000's vintage

Millennium

Infinity

Summit

Constellation

I like them all, but have been concentrating on M class lately.....it's all a matter of taste. The one good thing about Celebrity, there are fewer passengers per size ship than other cruiselines for all classes and I've never felt crowded.

Hope that helps.

Rick

I like them all, but have been concentrating on M class lately.....it's all a matter of taste. The one good thing about Celebrity, there are fewer passengers per size ship than other cruiselines for all classes and I've never felt crowded.

Rick

We have only done the M class ships and love them. You are absolutely right about not feeling crowded on these ships inspite of 1900+ passengers!

We leave on our 3rd M-Class cruise in less than a week. The Summit will be the only M class ship we have not tried!

Hi BonBon663 I really think that Rick and Anne gave you the most complete answer.. now it all depends on what YOUR preference is we personally like the smaller vessels of the C class ( we just like the intimacy), However we would sail on an M class ship if its the Itinerary we want (as you can tell we have two M class booked!)...like the others have said you can still lose yourself on the larger vessels if that is what you seek to do...I guess being a new cruiser you might not have realized, But no matter which ship you sail .. you picked an excellent Cruiseline to start your addiction with.

Sit back and get ready for the time of your life!

.. you picked an excellent Cruiseline to start your addiction with.

Sit back and get ready for the time of your life!

I like your characterization of cruising as an addiction. It certainly is for us. Bonbon663, we hope it knocks your socks off.

We leave on our 3rd M-Class cruise in less than a week. The Summit will be the only M class ship we have not tried!

Constellation will be our third M-Class cruise in March. We also hope to catch Summit in the near future.

Rick

Archived