Day Sail Cancellation Policy

gquest

I believe it may vary by day sail company, but would imagine most if not all, are understanding about situations where a cruise ship does not successfully arrive in port.

If in doubt, just ask (via email so you have in writing) ... some even have a cancellation policy beyond unusual circumstances too, and all will not charge you if there is adverse weather that prevents them from sailing.

I've been talking with Calypso Charters about scheduling a day sail for about 30 of us on our roll call. It was sounding pretty good until I asked about their cancelation policy. Their policy is 14 days prior is full refund, otherwise, full fare. I asked about if the ship for some odd reason did not reach port if we would still be charged and the answer was yes. Not so sure we will book with them now and take the chance.

gquest,

Our party of six was looking to book on Fantasy back in October of 2004. I called Captain Pam and asked about her cancellation policy in the event the ship had to cancel its stop in St. Thomas (2004 was also a very active hurricane season). She told me that we could cancel for any reason with a 48 hour notice and there would be no charge if the ship did not stop in St. Thomas, even if the stop was cancelled at the last minute. She just asked that we e-mail her immediately if we were notified that we would not be stopping. As it turned out, we did arrive as scheduled, so the refund was never an issue. I did send her e-mails at every port so that she knew we were on our way.

Since we had the entire boat, if our ship were late, they would probably have waited for us. I imagine the time would have been less. I have no idea what would happen if she had a mixed group with some on time and some from a late arriving ship.

I don’t know if her policy is typical for other operators, but I’d hope this would be common practice. It’s been over a year, so I can’t say if this is still her policy.

BTW, sailing on the Fantasy was a wonderful experience.

Jim

gquest,

Our party of six was looking to book on Fantasy back in October of 2004. I called Captain Pam and asked about her cancellation policy in the event the ship had to cancel its stop in St. Thomas (2004 was also a very active hurricane season). She told me that we could cancel for any reason with a 48 hour notice and there would be no charge if the ship did not stop in St. Thomas, even if the stop was cancelled at the last minute. She just asked that we e-mail her immediately if we were notified that we would not be stopping. As it turned out, we did arrive as scheduled, so the refund was never an issue. I did send her e-mails at every port so that she knew we were on our way.

Since we had the entire boat, if our ship were late, they would probably have waited for us. I imagine the time would have been less. I have no idea what would happen if she had a mixed group with some on time and some from a late arriving ship.

I don’t know if her policy is typical for other operators, but I’d hope this would be common practice. It’s been over a year, so I can’t say if this is still her policy.

BTW, sailing on the Fantasy was a wonderful experience.

Jim

We have a sailing booked with High Pockets, this is the same cancellation policy they have, seemed very fair to me.

Archived