QE2 2007 World Cruise

oldgit

Many thanks to all the contributors to the Transatlantic threads on this forum. I have picked up loads of useful information.

The winter crossers would appear to be among the elite of the cruising fraternity and perhaps it's time us lesser (and more elderly?) mortals had a thread to exchange views, experiences and port knowledge.

Sadly, as a QE2 virgin, my contribution will be limited but my gratitude enormous for any willing to share their expertise.

Only a year to go

MV Orlova 2005 - Antarctica

Sounds like a cunning plan. Any past or current world travellers must be a potential mine of useful reports, information and tips. I would be particularly interested in opinions and experiences regarding the quality and variety of shore excursions offered by Cunard and those that might be worthwhile organising independently.

Thanks in anticipation.

Shore excurtions, now there's a subject. In many ways cruise passengers are potential suckers just waiting to be expoited. What Arthur Daly would call "punters" Here we are stepping off on to the quay side to be surounded by a crowd of taxi drivers etc offering us trips. So if we take that option we really do need to have done some research of the location before we leave home so we know where we wish to go. Doesn't always work though. We took a taxi trip once and were taken to every shopping outlet on the island, and to an elephant riding place as well. (we are not into elephant riding) Then he stopped at every roadside stall we passed. We had five minutes at the place we really wanted to visit. On the other hand we have had many great trips at half the price of the ship ones. I suppose that there are collectively travellers on these boards who have visited every cruise port in the world. We should ask questions here for a start.

The ship arrainged tours are hit and miss. Some can be ok - New York stands out in my memory, but so many are glorified shopping trips designed to fill the tour guide's pocket with tips from the shops he takes you to. Cunard usually sends a representative on each coach. Again, some are good some hopeless. We had one of the Cunard dance troupe with us on a trip to Catherines Pallace in St. Petersburg. In very difficult circumstances with big crowds and Russian ineficiency he was a very great help. Others are just there for a free trip.

David.

Archived