Food Allergies Questions

hennaLisa

On 11/26/2018 at 10:05 PM, hennaLisa said:

I am hoping someone here has some experience cruising with kids with numerous dietary restrictions and can give me some advice. Please, if you just want to be rude, don't comment. If you haven't lived with these issues, you just can't understand what it is like.

My kids have numerous major food allergies and eat a restricted diet as a result. I make most everything for them from scratch, including things like gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free baked goods. They can eat normal meat, vegetables, nuts, and fruit, but won't be able to eat any of the grains or desserts that the cruise provides. When we've gone to resorts, I could just use the microwave to cook them their special things so they don't feel left out. But on the cruise, I realize we won't have access to cook anything. 

Having children with special needs and dietary restrictions can easily consume all my and my husband's time and energy. I need some suggestions about how we can make the dietary stuff go as smoothly and easily as possible. I've spent hours with the cruise line and talked with the access department and I've gotten such varied responses. "All food must be prepackaged and non-perishable." True "Bring your baking mix and the chefs will prepare the children's baked goods." Not so sure about that. "Prepared food must be pre-cooked and frozen so we just warm it up for you." Not so sure about that. "There are microwaves located at the buffet." Not true. "There are no microwaves on the ship, even in the kitchens." Also not true.  The answers I get are all over the place.

In my ideal world, I could bring some of my kids' special foods already cooked, such as papadam crackers and chocolate muffins. I'd have them in a small cooler and just give them to my kids as needed. Secondly, I would bring some ingredients to make simple things. For instance, they can drink Bai drinks, which come in 18 fl. oz. bottles. I would bring a few flavors to let them split a drink once in a while and I would bring little zipcicle bags to make icepop-type frozen treats. I'd fill the bags with Bai drinks and put them in the freezer or maybe I could put them in a small cooler with a lot of ice overnight to freeze into a slushy texture? I could bring So Delicious dairy free sugar free ice cream if the cruise would let us keep it frozen. I could also bring my baking mix if I could give the cooks instructions (1 cup mix, 4 eggs, 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup coconut milk, can be made into pancakes, waffles, etc.). Would this work?  See my response below.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Hi there.

We cruise with a friend who is allergic to EVERYTHING except poultry, eggs, fruits, and vegetables.  She contacts Special Needs before every sailing.  As soon as we embark, she and her husband go to the maitre d' and speak with the hostess about what she can eat and to ensure no cross contamination.  She brings her own salad dressing, bread, and sun butter.  (Like peanut butter, but made from sunflower seeds.)

We choose YTD and the hostess makes sure we have the same table and same wait staff every night.  (We like to go to dinner for 7:00.)  Before we leave dinner, the hostess comes to the table with the next day's menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so they can discuss what to order. She orders every course, including dessert.  (I've tasted her food.  It was really tasty for gluten free, dairy free, wheat free, etc.) The first night of the first cruise was a little rough, but the rest of the meals went as planned and she had no allergy issues. 

The key is to be diligent.  

Best wishes and have a great cruise.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

i was wondering how your cruise worked out? We are traveling next month on the Vista with the same dietary requirements. I’ve spoken to someone with Carnival that is very helpful(finally) and have the ok to bring vegan cheeses, chocolate chips and dairy free items for the chefs to work with. I can’t believe they don’t have more vegan options. So many cruise lines cater to that now.. Carnival is a bit behind. I’m having to get a Drs note to carry on a small blender for our celery and fruit smoothies that we drink everyday! Lol it’s a lot of work! Thanks.