Cruise Ship laundry room etiquette!

SUSANITA

Het Travelgirl - We must have been on the same cruise (or at least ran into the same lady). I just posted this under another thread - but it's worth repeating here.

Let me tell you a story - we were on the Inspiration (second trip) and about an hour before dinner (Formal night) I realized that a couple of the shirts needed a touch up so I headed to the laundry room where there were 2 irons. I was about the fifth in line. One iron was being used by a young man who appeared to be having his first experience with an iron. The other was being used by a woman who it appeared waited until she got on the ship to do her laundry - didn't look like she was in a good mood. This was the second day at sea and she had an entire laundry basket full of items and she was ironing EVERYTHING - had several items already hanging. She acted like she didn't see the GROWING line and continued to iron one item after the other - then a couple of people in the hall started to ask what the hold up was. The people in the laudry room (which was VERY hot with the dryers running) said point blank that there was a lady who it appeared was paying for her cruise by doing other peoples laundry because no one in their right mind would spend that much time on a cruise doing their own clothes. She continued to iron - these were not items that were being worn for formal night. About 10 minutes later she finally must have gotten tired of the comments because she packed up her things and left - to the applause of the people waiting. she never said a word.

Now I take wrinkle releaser and check the items as I unpack. If it's something that I don't think the spray will work on then I iron it right away. One note - don't iron your item after putting wrinkle releaser on it, unless you put something in between - it doesn't look pretty.

Another reason not to wait - The irons have timers and if they get too hot they shut down for a while - so if you are the fourth or fifth person you may have to wait for the iron to cool down beofre you can use it.

Well since I travel with 2 other women (my Mom and Daughter) and I really, really, really hate paying for overwieght luggage, I do laundry on board too.
I have found that if I wait for the few minutes between my Late Seating Dinner and the Late Show in the Showroom, I can run my load, and after the show load it in a dryer without a single problem.......everyone else has done theirs by that hour of the evening.........and gee I guess I just have to go get some Pizza or Softserve while I'm waiting for the dryer to stop.

I know I'll be doing lots of loads this time.............flying to Florida to visit family, then doing back-to-backs (12/21 & 12/29 sailings) on the Legend.....can you imagine HOW much luggage I'd have to take if I waited to do Laundry when I get home! Beside taking home clean stuff means not running monsterous amounts of wash while having to get ready to go back to work the next day...........yuck!

for instance,

Underwear is always good for 4 days, sometimes 5:

Day 1: Wear as normal.
Day 2: Take off, turn around backward, and put on.
Day 3: Take off, turn inside out, put back on.
Day 4: Take off, turn around backward, and put on.

Day 5? Take off, sniff. If bearable, put back on.

I would have absolutely no problem removing the items from the washer or dryer if sufficient time had passed and the owner of the items had not returned.

We most likely will send items out to be pressed, if needed. We'll take our travel steamer also. ;)

You may take a travel steamer, not a travel iron - wattage is too high.[quote name='august1963']Well, if they don't, I'm going to be very wrinkly. Any thoughts on the travel irons?

Jubilee 1988
American Family 1994
Imagination 1997
Sensation 1998
Elation 6/2001
Inspiration 2/2002
Triumph 4/2004[/QUOTE]

You're right. Just doesn't sound right. This is a vacation. My DW does Laundry 7 days a week. Couldn't imagine saying to her, "Honey, lets go do some laundry before dinner". My head would get torn off at the neck just from the look she would give me alone. :eek: Better to splurge $20 -$40 if needed.

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']for instance,

Underwear is always good for 4 days, sometimes 5:

Day 1: Wear as normal.
Day 2: Take off, turn around backward, and put on.
Day 3: Take off, turn inside out, put back on.
Day 4: Take off, turn around backward, and put on.

Day 5? Take off, sniff. If bearable, put back on.[/QUOTE]
Had to LOL at this one! DH says exactly the same thing! Thank God he's only kidding (I hope!).

Archived