Cuban rum in my carry-on bag home?

Nashville Flyer

Hi all!

My question is to ask if (and how) it’s possible to bring rum from Cuba, all the way to my flight's carry-on bag in the U.S., from a Cruise.

Admittedly, somehow I missed the 2014 memo that we can now bring liquor from outside the U.S., through TSA, in our carry-on bags (not checked) and on to connecting flights in the U.S., provided the spirits are properly packed in clear, Duty-Free sealed packaging. I get it: buy booze in the airport in Europe, have it sealed, carry it on, show the sealed bag in the U.S. and continue to carry it on to a connecting flight within the U.S.

But in my case, I’m going to Cuba on a Royal Caribbean (Empress of the seas) cruise out of Miami, and I live in Nashville.

Has anyone been able to buy Rum in Havana, bring it on the ship, have it sealed in permissible duty-free bags, and then fly from Ft. Lauderdale (on Southwest) to another U.S. city with the rum in their carry-on? (not their checked bag, because I plan to pack a few more bottles there, too!)

Thanks!

Greetings

When you buy rum in Cuba you just carry it with you.  There are no "duty free bags" such as you find at airports.  Also at airports the duty free is behind security, you cannot bring a "duty free bag" through security.

Good Sailing

Tom