costa maya for kids

asmitty

I was recently viewing someone's photos from Costa Maya and saw pics of the ruins there. Some people have recommended that seeing the ruins is not ideal for kids - a lot of walking, hot, etc. What kind of an ordeal is it to get there? My daughter (7) is really into that kind of stuff and I think she would enjoy it, but I don't want to drag her into something that she will not be able to handle. (She's not a couch potato at all - very active!) Can you taxi there? How much time should we allow, if we go?

I am starting to think that we will skip Cozumel and just visit Costa Maya. More time is allowed and I believe the ship can still dock in CM but not in Cozumel (tendering -what a pain).

Costa Maya sounds wonderful, doesn't it? There is a beach at Majahual (a very short taxi ride but they recommend you not try to walk the 2.5 miles from the ship) and the pictures look wonderful. It is not a tourist town so might be a real taste of Mexico. Transportation is $3 from the pier or $2 for a taxi back, per person. Apparently there are two types.

If you will go to the ports of call board and click Costa Maya you will get many suggestions for activities. Most people are recommending a private vendor in Majahual where you start your tour of the ruins, which are about a 45 minute van ride to the interior. There are actually two tours offered. One to the ruins and one that includes the ruins and the town nearby where it is customary to bring school supplies for the local children. Your daughter might enjoy distributing crayons and glue sticks to the kids. There are some links to photos of this distribution, the town, and the ruins. enjoy

When are you going?

We did the ruin tour 3 years ago when my son was 7yo. We did the RCCL tour as we were on the Enchantment. If your daughter enjoys this type of thing then it will not be a problem. I do not recall my son complaining or anything. It was hot but we stuck to the shade as much as possible and brought lots of water bottles. We do have one funny memory of an older man standing in front of us "breaking wind". We had to move away.

Michelle in SoCal

Mercury 4/7/06

We are sailing on Zenith 2/20. I did check out the ports of call boards (don't know why I didn't think of that originally) and saw info on the private tour through Ivan and David. I think that is what we'll do for sure. When I mentioned it to my daughter, she seemed very excited. I expect there will be some form of complaining (heat or "when will this be over?") but what child doesn't complain atleast a little bit? Or husband? Anyway, should be fun.

Does anyone have an opinion on tendering to Cozumel? I don't think that is one of our long days in port, so we're a little concerned about how much time it will all take - being back for early seating in the dining room might be challenging.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Archived